Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceWomen's Studies · 1 week ago

Is it transphobic to not want to date a trans person solely because they are trans?

4 days ago

No law is making me date any blond!!!!!   I like brunettes!

• ?
    7 days ago

Why would a person date someone he or she is afraid of? That is all transphobic means.

• 1 week ago

No. You should be able to date whomever you want

• susan
    1 week ago

I don't know. 

But even if it is, you don't need to date anyone that you would rather not date, for any reason or for no reason at all. 

1 week ago

No it's not because you cannot change your sex no matter how much hormones you take. Straight people are not attracted to people who were born the same sex as them. Male and female think differently due to their biological differences which cannot be changed with a simple hormone therapy.

• 1 week ago

it's uptight and not healthy. don't forget your meds. you could reeaally have a heart attack. my heart sinks through my stomach when i see things i don't like - ugly dogs for example...which are wayyyyy more common than trans..some deep thinking there mister unless you were picking up prostitutes...i heard mtf prostitutes are lower pay...what a steal..you'll change your mind

1 week ago

Bill is a ignorant idiot and yes you are transphobic. I personally wouldn’t mind dating a transman cause I’m openminded unlike most bigots who are men most of the time.

Source(s): Straight woman
  • Bill
    1 week ago

There is no such thing as transphobia, so no. The individual is still the biological sex they were born as, so if you're a straight man and the transgender claims to be female dating them would be dating another dude. 

@Anonymous: So how am I ignorant? Before you answer be sure you can show me where transphobia is officially recognized as a phobia and that transgenders become the opposite sex after treatment. Good luck. 

And being openminded doesn't mean being an idiot that ignores biological facts.

• Craig
    1 week ago

Dating is a matter properly steered by bias, not prejudices.  "Bias" is the technical term for what we normally call "my taste" or "my type".  Transphobia is generally considered to be an expression of one's politics, religion, or prejudices.  For example, if you find yourself thinking "I have no interest in dating a person with the wrong genitalia", then you're expressing a bias.  That's the same as saying "I have no interest in dating a person who has blonde hair" or "I'm not interested in dating a person who chews gum".  It's a bias.  Not transphobic.

But if you find yourself thinking "I'm not going to date this trans person because trans people are pushy and obnoxious" that's PREJUDICE.  You think you know what the other person is going to be like before you've given them a chance to show you, based on your PRE-JUDGMENT of all trans people.  That's transphobic.

Again, if you're talking to a trans person and your impression of this particular individual is that they're pushy and obnoxious, then you're reacting negatively to their actual behavior.  THAT'S a BIAS - not a prejudice.  Not transphobic.

Does this make it clear?  You don't have to be attracted to blondes just to be fair and even-handed.  You don't need to date a blonde if the blonde hair makes you think "Ugh, I COULD be with a brunette right now!"  You've just got a bias against blonde hair or in favor of brown hair - that's your "taste".  Likewise, you might not be interested in people physically much larger or smaller than you are.  And you might not be interested in people who are lawyers or carpenters, simply because you just can't see yourself with a lawyer or a carpenter - not because they can't be good people, but just because that's not the image of yourself that you want.  These are biases, not pre-judgments that assume things about individuals before you know them.  You can be biased against black people or white people or people with missing limbs or bad skin...OR transgender people.

Where the rubber meets the road on this one is the instance when you see a person who is very attractive and turns out to be very nice, and rather intriguing - and then they tell you "I'm trans."  Now, AT THAT POINT, if you say "OH! Well, then I'm not interested" then YES, you're being transphobic.  That's because the person was satisfying all your "taste" criteria.  You can't claim that they were not "your type" - they clearly were!

If you instead say "OH!  Uh...I didn't know...uh...look, how do I ask this...are you like,...fully transitioned?" and they tell you "No", then you can excuse yourself without it being an instance of transphobia, because it's due to a bias against mis-matched genitals.  Not your type.  Not your taste.  Not transphobia.  BUT, if they say "Yes" and you still excuse yourself, then you're back in transphobe territory.

• 1 week ago

it could be that way