Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 2 months ago

Is it a bad thing if my son only has female friends?

So my son, who is 13, started at a new school this year. He met a really sweet girl on his first day who showed him round and helped him settle in, and made him a part of her friends group. While I'm glad he's settling in nicely, here's the thing: everyone in her friends group are girls. My son is the only boy. I'm not really sure if this is a good or bad thing, as normally boys at his age would group together, and he's also said that most of the other boys think he's soft for sitting with the girls instead of running around playing ball games. He's also become quite fond of the girl who welcomed him to the school (ahem!). My husband says I'm overreacting, but I'm not sure if I should get him into programs that will help him meet more boys, or should I leave him alone?

SUCH A WIMP AHAHA!!!

Leave him alone. He's got friends, that should register to you as a good thing, despite what gender they are.

If you're worried your son is gay by having female friends, then you might want to reconsider your homophobia. 

I would try to expand his friends to have some men. Have him meet friends to play video games and watch sports with. My brother did that forever. His friend got us playing military games, think tv show games like "G.I. Jane/G.I. Joe" and "Power Rangers", and "Cowboys and Indians in Bonaza, CA", it was in the 1990's okay? I would encourage your son to expand his friends, find something of interests to him, material arts or people who like arts but are religious or whatever he is into that is positive as a teenager or adult and encourage him to pursue that. So he can make some male friends to watch basketball with and baseball, etc. 

• ?

He will discover more friends of his own sex as he gets older.  At present he does not view girls in any romantic way so it hardly matters 

No, when I was in middle school all of my friends were girls. The boys did not have any social skills. 

leave him alone -- if he's happy then you shouldn't go making him unhappy by forcing anything or trying to get him away from his friends.

how would you have felt if your parents made you spend time away from your closest friends and instead in another friend group where you're much less invited and maybe even neglected?

• ?

I think he’s doing fine and it’s good he has friends!

Maybe ask him if there are any programs or clubs he would like to be in and take it from there? 

• ?

It's ok. He's still adjusting.

I don't think your son is gay.

It's a good thing. Why would you even question it? 

Here goes.more.of your 6 percent cover up talk? BTW Linda being cast as a boy in the play is not written by a Latino. In fact Id go so far as to say that was in part an unknown insult cast.