Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 week ago

What's more divisive: Politics or Religion?

• 1 week ago

Politics. My immediate family are liberals. My extended families are republicans. Everyone has agreed politics is off-limits when my family is visiting.

Politics is now at the point where my parents have started questioning if they should keep a friendship with a family who has 2 boys that I grew up with that is 30+ years long.

• 1 week ago

In some places the two are inseparable. In the USA it’s politics because we’re irreligious.

• Ivan
    1 week ago

Both of those topics can be extremely divisive. Avoid them in polite conversation.

• 1 week ago

Religion causes divisiveness in politics, it needs to be put back from whence it came. 

• 1 week ago

I consider both as divisive; however, and this is really important, I don’t believe divisiveness is always necessarily bad.

When we say “divisive” today, it is almost always interpreted as a bad thing.  Something to eliminate.  I disagree.

Each of us has a right to divide what we believe as true from false.  We have individual liberties to choose what political or religious ideas we support or not.  Our universal problem seems to be not division, but the inability to peacefully and respectfully disagree.

Striving to eliminate divisions ends up in a sameness that just isn’t realistic.  People are different and have a God-given right to be.

Saying someone shouldn’t divide what they believe from what someone else believes?  I can’t think of anything more disrespectful.

The most pervasive evil today isn’t divisiveness.  It’s the inability to respect differences and the demand for conformity.

Source(s): Mat 10:34
  • 1 week ago

Depends on the religion.  For the evangelical Christians in the US the two are the same thing so for that one the question is invalid.  Same for fundamentalists Muslims.

Politics for most others since who is in office affects people more than how other people worship.

• Jerome
    1 week ago

Religion by far......🤔

Religious peoples in politics in a secular nation is the perfect storm for chaos. Which brings opportunity for it's ENEMIES.......👁️

• 1 week ago

Religious politics is the worst.  In a country like ours, government should be separated from religion; and NO laws, funding, public prayer/iconography, nor anything else should be used to support or oppose religion.

• 1 week ago

I think politics more than religion because, at least for me, I was raised to believe that no two people believe exactly the same thing, so there are many different religions. Most people stay in the religion they were born in, so there is more acceptance of religious differences. We even have a constitutional amendment protecting freedom of religion. Politics, on the other hand, has no constitutional protection - albeit the first amendment's right to free speech. Leaders on all sides vilify the other side to obtain more votes to get/stay in power.

1 week ago

Probably politics.  Religion/religious institutions have no authority to make laws.  Participation is voluntary and doesn't really affect those who do not partake.

That being said, many people base their political views on their religion so religion definitely does flow over into politics.