Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 2 months ago

Can I just spray wd40 instead of clean rifles? Also what do to if a cheap rifle barrel rusted?

Can I spray rust off? Then black spray paint???

• John

I would agree with CTM on what he said.  PROPER gun care:  Get rid of rust with steel wool and naval jelly.  Then re-blue the barrel.  That's the do-it-yourself way.  A better alternative would be to let a skilled gunsmith do it for you.

I knew a gun who would spray WD 40 into the breech of his inexpensive Glenfield model 60 .22 to "clean" it.  All it is going to do is maybe "wash" some of the residue out.  Then what happens is that the barrel may be well-lubed, but if it dries, a sticky residue is going to be left which increases resistance to the bullet as it is shot out of the rifle.

Take the time to clean the barrel with solvent, a wire bore brush and patches.

Put some hand work into it. If you respect firearms anyway.  Neglect and spray paint give gun owners a bad name.

That is all I use.   The idea is to prevent rust and WD40 displaces water.  

• Adam D

CTM left out an important detail here - don't let the WD-40 dry before applying the paint!  It's made to be applied wet-on-wet!  And remember, you can't use too much of either, really put the liquid to it.

• SM

I see the questions are still the same.  Appropriate answer from CTM.

• C T M

I wouldn't recommend that anyone else do this, but you? Yes you should. Do it often, do it all the time. Use WD40 to spray your rifles, then use black spray paint to prevent rust. Make sure you spray the inside of the chamber and barrel too, and the internals of the action. Spray black paint on everything, this is the best thing you could do for your rifles and other guns. No one else should do this, just you. Do it. Do it now.

Source(s): Go.
  • ?

WD 40 is not a rust remover, buy an actual rust remover and follow the directions. 

Take the barrels to a gunsmith and have him 'blue' the metal.

Spraying with WD-40 and then spray painting the firearm is not the right solution. I have seen firearms that have been treated that way, so it can be done. Paint will not adhere to a oil coated surface.

The important part to clean is the bore and spray paint will not work there. The action also needs cleaned and oiled.

The exterior of the gun barrel should have been blued at some point which is a protective chemical etch. There are kits to re-blue the rifle out there. But it is not something a person who does not know how to take care of a firearm should attempt.