Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

How do I describe my race/ethnicity on the UC application?

My dad is Mexican-American and my mom is Caucasian. She has a little French and German ethnicity in her. How do I explain this on my UC app?

There is an option that says "other white" and to explain in a box what I mean. What do I check?

• ?

'Other white' would be appropriate.

Nobody cares about "a little this, a little that."  And Hispanics ARE Caucasian.  

You don't need to mention your mother's ancestry. Caucasian/White assumes European ancestry, though it actually shouldn't. If you were Middle Eastern or Jewish, you'd want to explain through "Other White," but as it is, don't bother.

Pick Hispanic/Latinx, if possible, whether your surname sounds Hispanic or not.  It will help less at a UC than it would elsewhere, but it could help a little.  If not possible, choose "Other White" and explain you're white Hispanic/Latinx

• ?

If your last name is hispanic-sounding, choose hispanic. You don't have to answer the other question. 

• ?

What are the options? Chicano? Hispanic? Check one of those- you may get preferential treatment. Public schools have to report the statistics on the numbers of minority members they accept. The point is to try to increase diversity among college graduates, and to improve a situation where people in many groups are kept poor through discrimination. I know someone who admitted he got into a prestigious school because he was of Cuban descent, despite the fact that he came from a very wealthy Cuban family, had gone to private schools all his life, and had every advantage. 

check the box for Hispanic/Latino or similar description and then skin color as it seems to apply in your everyday life

Describe your race as White and your ethnicity as Hispanic or Latino. 

Or decline to answer. 

• MS

French and German would be considered Caucasian.  That's not something you would differentiate anywhere, but certainly not on a college application. 

As for what you would check, it depends on what the options are.  There is often a separate question about Hispanic ethnicity, no matter what you choose as your ethnicity, but that may not be the case on this application. 

• drip

Your mother’s background still makes her Caucasian.  You would not add on her European ethnicity. They are considered Caucasian too.  You can check Caucasian if you are comfortable with that.   Are both of your paternal grandparents Mexican? Then mark half Mexican. Or if your dad is half Mexican you would put down a quarter Mexican/ Hispanic.