Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Robin
Robin asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 2 months ago

What’s the best shot size for hunting wild boar ?

I’m going to Tunisia and you can’t use a rifle. The boar there are bigger than the European ones 

I have hunted in Montana, South Dakota, Minnesota, Texas and Germany.   A shot gun is good for birds but if you are hunting anything else,  use a rifle.    I have found the 270 pretty much the best all around rifle for North America and Germany. 

• Robin

SG or spherical ball here is the best bet. Keep the small stuff for those tiny feral pigs 

00 BUCKSHOT I THINK IST GOOD CHOICE FOR KILLING A PIG:

• ?

150 grains

A rifle of not less than . 270 Win calibre using an expanding bullet of not less than 150 grains should be considered the minimum for shooting boar.

I am a decent shot and have won many awards for superior shooting 

and I would recommend #12 shot.   It makes a bigger shot pattern.

• Mr.357

Slugs.  They don't make hog shot and buck shot is not all that effective for deer.

• John

Honestly --- buckshot isn't even recommended for hunting whitetail deer, even if it is legal.  The reason for this is that it only proves to be lethal at very short ranges -- 25 to 30 yards.  Generally buckshot is only used for defensive purposes against such animals as feral hogs and black bears -- as they are going to be tougher to kill than a deer.

A slug is a far better choice.  The shotgun should be at least 20 gauge and preferably outfitted with a barrel either designed for sabot slugs or Foster slugs.  But it is important to use only those slugs for which the barrel was designed.  Barrels that will shoot sabot slugs have rifled bores.

Buckshot or a slug if your barrel is rifled.

Best is subjective. I use number four Buck 3-in Magnum in 12 gauge. For someone who was supposed to be a well-heeled world traveler and expert Hunter you sure do ask some basic questions. I'm beginning to think you are a fraud, liar, charlatan, provocateur, and a troll.