Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

jj asked in HealthMental Health · 2 months ago

Do teachers have to report suicidal thoughts to parents and/or administration?

Do teachers have to report suicidal ideation or behaviours or just in general a suspicion that a student could be having suicidal thoughts to parents?

Do they just call them and explain the situation? 

Or do they just send the student up to counselling or just simply ignore the student? 

I am a suicidal/ self harming and depressed student and I was searching some suicide stuff the night before on my laptop. and so the next school day it was the first page open on my laptop and one of my friends saw it in my class and told the teacher. 

The teacher then told my year co who apparently told the school counsellors and I’m basically in deep **** now. My year co threatened to call my parents immediately or go See the counsellor which I really didn’t want to do. But I certainly didn’t want my parents to know so I obviously went to the counsellor.

But... when the counsellor asked me about suicide I basically Denied, denied and denied everything and said I don’t have suicidal thoughts and I’m fine. I told her I was just worried about a friend who is self harming (which is also true but not the reason for my suicide searches).

Do you think they will still contact my parents or keep forcing me to go to counselling or just finally let the thing go? And just ignore my problems because i don’t want to get help (I can’t get help anyways bc of my parents and bc I’m too invested in suicide at this point). 

What do u think??? Pls detailed answers and this is not a troll or joke.

This is going to be long and I talk about my own suicide attempt, so TRIGGER WARNING here.

I've been in almost this exact position. Technically, anybody working in health with minors legally has to report anything concerning to the child's legal guardian. Often if the person you are working with has a privacy agreement with you, and the things you tell them don't put yourself or others in immediate danger, they will keep it to themselves and try their best to help you. I understand you didn't ask for advice about suicidal ideation, and I understand that sometimes when you are in a pit this deep, you believe nobody can help you, and that the only way out is death. So all I think I can do is tell you my story in the hopes you will realize you aren't alone. 

In the 8th grade, I started skipping school and not sleeping at night. One morning, I went to school and when my school counselor asked me what was wrong, I deliriously told her I didn't have the will to live. She freaked out and immediately told my mom. I felt my options slipping. I truly believed help would make things worse, I believed nobody cared. I decided there was no way I could live, and tried to hang myself. I felt exhausted by my mental illness, belittled by my mom, and incredibly misunderstood. I decided that I'd never amount to anything, and I was doing the world a favor by dying. I wanted to be with my dad, and I felt hopeless. But my older sibling came home from school and found me setting it up. They held me and cried, and told me they loved me and I really couldn't die and leave them all alone. They told me that they needed me, and that although they couldn't promise me everything would get better, they could promise that they would help in whatever way they could. We told my mom and she suggested an inpatient facility. It took me two weeks before I finally caved and agreed. I stayed there eleven days, and came out feeling better. Not good by any means, but better. The depression was still there, and I had to undergo 3 more years of treatment to get to the place I am today. For the most part, I feel better now. I still have occasional suicidal thoughts, but I'm no longer planning, and I'm not set to it anymore. I found help, but I understand that that's not always an option for everyone. 

I know I can't convince you to get help, I can't even convince not to kill yourself, but I need you to know that even if you feel like nobody cares, that's false because I do. I don't know you at all. But today I read this and cried. I can't convince to do or not do anything, but I can try my best to give you a few suggestions.1.Talk to your parents. This might not be an option. By your tone, it seems that you deeply believe they won't accept you telling them, and that it will only make things worse. I can't tell you that that belief isn't true because I've met many people in cases where it is. If you think you can trust them though, they should be the first in line of people you should confide in.2.Nobody ever wants to hear this, but you could call a hotline. Here is the most common one: (800)-273-8255 I always avoided hotlines until I first called one. I thought they would judge me or call the cops on me. They won't. Your best bet is to call when you are in a calm state. Tell the operator what's wrong, and try to take their advice. It is possible their advice will feel unachievable and will only make you feel worse. It's also possible that it will really help and encourage you to get more help. Whichever happens, don't lose hope and spiral, I promise you there will be a silver lining.If neither of these work, you can talk to me. I don't know you, but I can be your friend I promise. My name is Sisi and I live in NYC. My Instagram is thebettertoeatyouwith. If you dm me on there, I will give you my number if you need to talk. I'm not a professional, I'm seventeen and my own life still feels ****** up and bleak a lot, but I know how important it is to have someone to talk to. Please please please know you aren't alone. You are going to be OK. It might take days, it might take months, it might take years. But by you posting this I know there is hope. You haven't given up, even though it's ******* Yahoo answers, you still reached out for help. Whatever happens, I believe in you, and I hope you are ok.Best wishes,Your friend Sisi.

Well, the concern of all these people is that they want to keep you alive.  Apparently they suspect you of being at risk.  And apparently they are right.  I can't predict what they will do because I don't know them and I don't know how effective you are at lying about your feelings.  

A lot of people are experiencing depression these days, But things are moving now, and the pandemic isolation should end soon.  

If they are forcing you to go to counselling, I hope they do tell your parents, because they ought to know about it.  

Do you know somebody who has committed suicide?  Because it is important to remember that suicide is contagious.  Even if it is not the case with you, there is no doubt in my mind that others will be tempted to suicide if you do it.  That's not a good thing.

So I wish you the best, whatever happens.

• ?

you asking are teachers heartless and not caring are you !!!

No!  If a teacher is having thoughts of suicide, they should see their therapist immediately.

• jean

they would be irresponsible not to.

I looked at your other questions and I urge you to read the New Testament before doing anything drastic.  Start with the Gospel of John.  Ask Jesus to save you.  Follow Him as best you can.  He can change your life in a hurry.  Pray about everything that concerns you.  Look up Philippians 4:6-8.  

• ?

I have no idea what a "year co" is. But I don't understand why you would rather live in misery than talk to a counselor!  What is the point of that? It's not a weakness to be depressed, and there are some very good treatments for it. I know that when you're depressed, you convince yourself that life can never be any better- I've been there. But believe me, it can be. If you have clinical depression, there are some short term medications that kick start your brain into producing the right chemicals. Tell the counselor what's going on and why you don't want your parents told. 

Our mental health impacts our physical health and overall well-being so our education system direly needs to add more and more awareness related to mental health issues so that students can easily come forward. 

Teachers are "mandated reporters."  They need to report any child who has "suicidal thoughts" to the appropriate people.  Your "I'm worried about a friend who is self harming" isn't going to fly.

So how would a teacher know what someone is thinking.

It depends on the laws where you are located.

Where I am, teachers have a 'duty of care's and are legally required to report to appropriate authority if they believe any child is in danger, from self harm or from others.

Now this has been identified in your case, they would be legally required to persue this until certain you are not a danger to yourself, if you lived here.

Add: just looked at your previous questions. You say you are in Australia. That is where I am so what I said applies in your case.