Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

How many days did your dog bleed, while in heat?

Update:

Also when did the swelling go down for her?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Rita
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Proestrus: Proestrus is the start of the heat period where your dog's body is preparing to mate and averages about nine days, but can last from three to 17 days. Her vulva will swell and you may notice a blood-tinged discharge,1

• 2 months ago

Bitches may not bleed for the full estrus cycle but the cycle lasts for 21 days or three weeks.

She should have been spayed before she had a chance to cycle.  She is just your pet & not worthy of breeding if that is why she hasn't been spayed.  If you breed her, you will carry the title of being a stupid ignorant BYBER, the lowest form of dog breeding.  No body likes a BYBer.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Where is the roasted dog comment?

That was funny. 

• 2 months ago

Most of mine would, coming into season, have a blood coloured discharge which will gradually turn to a straw colour by around day 10 and the discharge would become less.   Most, into the third week, would have a slight discharge which wasn't totally blood coloured.   However, dogs don't read the text books and having been mated on days 11 and 13, one of my girls went to a more noticable blood coloured discharge through to around day 21.   I thought she'd never taken but she had an uneventful pregnancy, and produced 9 of probably the best puppies we'd ever bred.

Not all bitches will be in standing heat around day 10.  Again, not reading the text books, so although those days are 'the norm', some bitches will stand earlier in their season, and others not until well into the third week.    So she must be confined and away from any entire male, for the entire 21 days.   Not just those 'middle days'.

If you are asking about the vulva being more obvious - after a puppy's first heat, it won't usually go back to how it was before the first one.   With a mature b itch, the puffiness will go by the end of the season.   But allow for a full 21 days, at least, to be sure the heat is over.

We gave our girls a good bath at the end of their seasons, to turn our entire males off!

• 2 months ago

It didnt since dogs are male.  However bitches tend to bleed for three weeks with a pause of 3 days at their most fertile point.  Which usually occurs on the 10th 11th and 12 th day into their heat: After that point in time they will bleed on and off for about a week and a half until their heat ceases.When bleeding stops completely until the next time she comes into heat.

The time between varies from breed to breed and from bitchtobitch.

So on those middle three days especially. you should keep her completely away from all dogs .

• TK
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Which one?  Each is unique and her cycles will change as she ages.  

Proestrus (pre-ovulation, blood tinged discharge) averages 9 days but can be 3-18 days.  Estrus (ovulation, straw colored discharge) also averages 9 days but can be 4-20 days and still be normal.  

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

I've never owned an unneutered female dog.  I am reading up to 10 days.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.