Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

? asked in HealthOther - Health · 2 months ago

Should I wait to get the Johnson & Johnson Covid vaccine instead of getting Moderna/Pfizer which requires two shots? ?

My mom is scheduled to get her first of the Moderna on March 12th. Now I'm wondering if she should wait too. I'm so anxious and undecided now because I really want us to get vaccinated ASAP. I heard the JJ might be better. What should we do? 

You should wait. 

The single-dose of Johnson & Johnson vaccine was 72 percent effective in preventing moderate to severe COVID-19 28 days after vaccination. Severe disease was prevented in 85 percent of cases.

The vaccine triggers the body’s immune system to produce antibodies against the virus.

Sharing the link below:

From what i have heard previously phizer and moderna were 90 something percent effective and i think J&J was like 60 or 80 something percent effective.

The point being the J&J one IS CRAP.

That being said my advice to you is wait for either of the 2 dose ones.

I mean ya gotta take the first dose of either of em them wait 3 weeks before the 2nd dose but its better to get the one that is more effective i say.

There are some side effects but nothing life threatening though.

How do i know this you ask?

Its because i had my 2nd shot of the pfizer vaccine last week.

I do not know much on the Moderna one though.

It was stated by Dr Fauci, to get whatever vaccine is available to you. You shouldn’t wait until johnson and johnson comes in your area. Also, moderna and Pfizer have the 90%efficiency, but they did state that the johnson and johnson vaccine will cause enough protection that those who have been exposed to covid won’t get sick with it or be hospitalized. So all 3 vaccines work well against covid 

depends on which country you live in

thats up to you

She should get the one she can get NOW. The J&J has not been proven to be as effective. 

One shot would obviously be preferable, but there's no guarantee that the J&J shot will be available in your area anytime soon. Right now, people simply have to get whatever is on offer, and that may continue to be the case.

Your mother should get the vaccine NOW if she can.  There is, as I said, no guarantee that the J&J vaccine will soon be available to her.

The J&J vaccine is said to be somewhat less effective.  It would be better to get later, after more people have already been vaccinated with the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines.  For younger people with no risk factors who can wait, the J&J vaccine might be the best choice.

Still, it's been shown to be much more effective than the average flu vaccine.

I would take whatever is available as soon as possible. Even the two shot ones give a lot of protection after one shot.