Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in EnvironmentGreen Living · 2 months ago

Am i allowed to pick up trash at my park?

This park/small forest near me has a serious litter problem. The city council has not done anything about it for months now and it's getting worse every day. I'm talking cans, glass bottles, plastic bags, wrappers, plastic, fruit peels etc. everywhere. Because of this there are huge rats roaming around. I am planning on going over there with dozens of garbage bags to take care of it myself. But before I do this, could I risk getting in trouble for that?

Contact the parks department first. Then, send press releases to all the media and conservation groups, asking for volunteers. Once you have volunteers, start asking around for contributions. You might get free gloves, bags, refreshments or even money for other supplies. Ask the municipality to pick up the bags afterward. After the cleanup, send out more press releases (with photographs) bragging about your haul. This could become an annual event.

.

I worked on one cleanup for several years and the volunteers got t-shirts mentioning the event gloves bags, and a free picnic lunch afterward. It's good publicity for the companies that contribute.

If it’s private property, it technically could be trespassing. But even if it is, I doubt anyone would mind if you helped clean up. If it’s private property, it may be a good idea to ask the owner before you do anything. If it’s public land, go right ahead. You’re doing them a favor.