Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

My mom has Alzheimers and I was wondering if anyone knew of a way we could control her incoming and outgoing calls.?

My mom is in the middle stages of Alzheimers so she can't drive anymore but still has her cell phone.  The problem is she keeps calling and canceling her medicare insurance.  Is there something we can do to control her incoming or outgoing calls?  Her service provider is AT&T.  We have power of attorney but not sure if AT&T will take it.  Just ideas and thoughts would be great


My mom is not left unattended.  Someone is with her all the time but we can't watch her all the time.  She knows we are watching her so will hide things as often as she can. 

12 Answers

  • Mike
    Lv 5
    4 weeks ago

    I'm so sorry that you and your family are going through this. There seems to be a lot of good advice on this thread. I hope that it comes in handy. May your mother and all of you be comforted during this period.

  • ?
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

    Yes. You can set up her phone so all incoming calls go to your phone instead. My daughter-in-law does that with her young daughter.

  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

    You might ask AT&T.

  • 1 month ago


    1)  Call AT&T and cancel her contract.  

    2)  Disable the phone in some way.  Find a way to lock it or change her password to one she doesn't know.

    3)  Tell her the phone is "lost" and you are looking for it.

    4)  Tell her you forgot to pay the bill

    5)  Tell her that due to bad weather, you have no cell service in your area.

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

    Take the phone away.  

    Contact the Medicare insurance and explain what's happening,  have a note put into her file or do what they suggest. 

  • 1 month ago

    No service is responsible for the calls that you mom makes.

    You have to block each number that you don't want her to call. 

  • Hildo
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

    Switch her home service to a voip provider like or callcentric.  These phone companies will give you advanced call filtering options.  There may be a learning curve, with them but if you want to have control over these things you have to learn how to do it.  

    Voip phone service no longer requires a broadband internet connection.  You can filter incoming calls from the web based controls to send incoming calls to a cell number, a voicemail account, an IVR that you create with their tools or other options.  You can usually block certain outgoing calls too.  These filters can even be changed automatically according to a schedule you set.

  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

    My first thought is that if she's fixated on cancelling her insurance, you need to contact the insurer, explain the situation, let them know (and be prepared to prove) you have power of attorney, and ask that customer service be gentle with her but not cancel the policy without your express written permission.

    In dementia patients, this isn't that strange. You might want to put a similar order in place for any necessary service that she might get the notion to cancel. For instance, she can't be allowed to turn off the utilities to her house or end her mail delivery, that sort of thing.

    Businesses usually have a way to leave notes on accounts. They're accessing everything via computer, so any note supervisors leave should come up any time they access the account.

    The other option is asking AT&T to block certain numbers, or seeing if you can make the phone automatically block them. But I think making sure the provider knows not to end service is a higher priority.

    Source(s): Done the dementia dance twice now. It's hard!
  • 2 months ago

    It's up to her if she wants to cancel it (right now) but if that is no good for her and out of delusion then you need to go to social services. It sounds drastic but they will need to go to court to take away responsibility from her, that is the only way to stop her cancelling it or doing anything else detrimental that someone of sound mind is allowed to do.

  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

    it may be time to look into guardianship.  why is she unattended?.  she certainly can't be living alone or left unsupervised for extended periods.

    talk to the lawyer about guardianship.  it should make any contracts she makes or breaks invalid.  hopefully, it can put a block on her ability to cancel medicare to begin with.  hopefully, you can get some type of password that doesn't let her access the account.

    there are phones for children that only allow limited pre programmed numbers.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.