Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 2 months ago

I hear scratching noises in the middle of the night and it sometimes sounds like it’s coming from under my bed, what do I do?? ?

My bed is located at one of the the corner in my room so I lay with a wall on my right and the headrest is against another wall. The wall that my headrest is against, that’s the one that I hear the scratching noises from. Sometimes it also sounds comes from the corner and sometimes it sounds like it’s coming from under my bed. I don’t know what it is but it really scares me. I’ve been hearing it for almost two weeks now and my mom says it probably just a mouse but I don’t think mouses can scratch that loudly.

I’m a pretty deep sleeper (I don’t even wake up to my mom’s yelling, and she screams pretty loud) and the scratching noises are loud enough to wake me up. I can’t deal with it anymore, it really creeps me out and I can’t calm myself down when I hear the noises. I literally almost had a panic attack last night when I heard the scratching noises. I’m also pretty sure my mom is tired of dealing with me being scared, idk what to do!! I seriously don’t want to bother my mom but I don’t want to have a panic attack or a mental break down in the middle of the night.

Get a cat. Let it come into your room at night. Not for comfort -although cats can be comforting - but because you have mice. Or rats. Probably mice, though. Little scratching noises behind the wall is a common sign that there are mice in your house. The common house mouse is nocturnal and most active at night. Instead of acting all terrified and panicking try telling your mom that you think there's a mouse 🐁 in your room and tell her you lookes up scratching sound behind walls and it said it's mice. If you google scratching behind the walls the first 500 results all say the same thing: mice or rats. I even did some of the looking up for you.

https://www.batzner.com/resources/blog-posts/deter...

https://www.allwildlife.ca/blog/5-likely-culprits-...

https://www.americanpest.net/blog/post/what-is-tha...

My other suggestion is that now you know it's just mice and mice are harmless to humans you do my need to feel scared and you can sleep again. Maybe give them names. Make stories about them. Normalize them. This will help you overcome your fear.

Mice can sound like a racoon in the silence of the night , any noises that you hear in the dark of the night can most likely be attributed to varmints of some sort . mice can make more noise then you could think possible from such a little bitty thing . 

How about setting up a mouse trap like normal people?

at day, when its sunny, get it checked out, it could be a bird? 

• ?

could be rats, have it investigated.

• Justin

Mice sound WAY louder at night than you might think. Everything is extra quiet and they are usually very busy chewing on various things, including wood and drywall. I think that your mom may be right. It is also very unlikely that there is only one. They tend to enter the house in small groups. A mousetrap with some peanut butter or cheese in it will help confirm that they are there.

If you would rather not kill them, you can 'no kill' capture them using a bucket and two pieces of cardboard laid across the bucket opening touching each other in the middle with the bait placed in the center. The mouse's weight collapses the cardboard and it falls into the bucket after it climbs across the cardboard to get to the food. You just need to make sure the bucket is next to some things the mice can use to climb up to the top of it. They cannot climb out of the bucket after they fall in, so you can just take the bucket outside and turn it over some place away from the house. 

Noises at night can be very unnerving, but try not to get upset. You will figure out how to stop them eventually. In the mean time, try some 'white noise' like a fan or something else soothing, or even some quiet music to cover the sounds. 

it is under your bed, under the floorboards.

it can't get you even if it wanted to.

but it can chew through electrical cables and burn your house down.

chuck some poison in your loft and or under any space they have access to.