Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationOther - Cars & Transportation · 2 months ago

Should I absolutely stay clear of 2.3 litter engine cars? I've heard they tend to have weak horsepower and they stall a lot?

I've had bad luck with a 2.4 engine car going slow up hill :/

I'm looking at Suvs made in 2010. They look like nice cars at a good price, but I'm a little bit wary of 2.3 litter engines. 

I could probably of course test drive the car and see if the engines strong, but still a little bit not sure. 

My Mercedes Benz was a 2.3 Ltre (230E)Had no problems climbing hills

My 1964 Mercedes Banz 220 Sb would go anywhere

AN CAR today that STALLS usually has been using th WRONG OIL and the IDLE AIR CONTROL system is CLOGGED UP with foul TAR and SLUDGE and even HARD COKE! Using BAD OIL that is NOT synthetic will trash out GASKETS< SEALS, PCV systems and MORE! VALVOLINE should be out of BUSINESS! Using it can RUIN SEALS and the CONVERTER and MORE! And NO FACTORY on EARTH will use it, EVER! the 2.3 FORD engines have won RACES, and are nearly BULLET PROOF! i do NOT not know WHERE you get your INFO here, but you need to do  MORE HOMEWORK! FOUR CYLINDER engines are SUPERB and many of them NOW have COUNTER BALANCE SHAFTS, like the German OPEL engines that GM has used in many of their lineups, along with DAEWOO engines from KOREA! TURBO 2,3 engines have been AWSOME, and people that have ISSUES with them have been using CHEAP $20 OIl changes or VALVOLINE< with it's HIGH ASH content and made the CHEAPEST way possible, the WAX REDUCTION method! Even my old PINTO engine, the 2.3 at 100,000 miles showed NO ENGINE WEAR or issues! i took the head in to a RACING firm in Detroit where their JAWS nearly dropped out After doin an INSPECTION! I used ONLY PENNZOI LONG LIFE OIL< and i never even had a SMALL LEAK! The CAR itself was as CRAPPY as nearly ALL cars of that day but the POWER TRAIN was actually EXCELLENT and shifted like CHEESE  CUTS!! ALWAYS try to write about WHICH ENGINE MAKER you are dealing with here! Engines at 2.5 liters, WITHOUT BALANCE SHAFTS< can shake themselves apart! I have worked on nearly EVERY type of engien and car there is and was am AUDI< SAAB VOLOV BMW< and AUDI technician in private practice! We saw NO OIL LEAKS ever when they used proper EURO FULL SYNTHETIC OILS, like PENNZOIL ULTRA and LIQUI MOLY and RAVENOL< and AMSOIL! Anyone using VALVOLINE was DESTINED for issues and leaks and troubles! The GM made 2.5 liter engine, the IRON DUKE was a waste of METAL and made a GREAT boat anchor for power and longevity! It would ONLY rev to 4500 RPM and was originally a SHELVED JEEP type engien from WWII! JUNK JUNK JUNK!!! ANYONE that bought a PONTIAC FIERO thinking it was a REAL sports car was SURELY DUPED and DISAPPOINTED! I have tuned so MAY cars from ALL OVER the WORLD< it even amazes ME!! 

There were some 2.3 engines that had or have problems. The old Vega engine was a 2.3 with a lot of trouble. But the Ford 2.3 engine was (and is) a very durable engine. My 93 Ford has a 2.3 and 350,000 miles on it. Which is a different engine from the 2.3 in the wife's Focus (which has 250000 miles on it). I am told there are few years of Focus's to avoid because of a design problem which Ford corrected on later models.

For what it is worth, 2.5 is about as big as a four cylinder can be made before they become inefficient fuel wise. 4.0 is where a going to more then six cylinders is needed. There is at least on five cylinder that was sold.

Anyway, get out out a copy of Consumers Reports Buyers Guide and look at the repair frequency on the vehicles you are considering. Just because a vehicle has a 2.3 does not mean it is weak or stall a lot. But it also does not mean it is strong and has plenty of torque.

• F

Yeh you’re right. 2.2 litre is fine, so is 2.4. It’s those pesky 2.3s that are the problem!

• lj1

Modern 2.4 liter engines make more power than the V6 in my 2006 Ford Ranger. The 1.5 liter Ecoboost engine makes 190 horsepower and about 180 pound feet of torque, and it's only a 3-cylinder. Toyota and Honda have been making strong 2.4 liter engines for quite some time now. You either haven't driven a four-cylinder car for a while, or you have been listening to the wrong people.

• ?

a modern 2.4 would make more power than a 5 litre engine from 1970.

race you in your 60's muscle car for pink slips if you like ?

how many cars have you ever driven count them on one hand I think.

i would ask a mechanic about it

My 2009 Kia Rondo has a 2.4 litre engine, and it puts out 170 horsepower. It's it very peppy, and has crossed the Continental Divide with no problem.

You never drove a SAAB or Volvo.

• CB

"I've heard they tend to have weak horsepower and they stall a lot?" BS - who ever you heard that from is full of it. Geez disinformation is rampant on the internet.