Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Why is the crema not forming on the coffee when using ground coffee?

I have an espresso machine and when I use store bought ground coffee and when I make the shot the light brown foam dosen’t form on top. 

The coffee may be stale. It should be within three weeks of the date it was roasted. The temperature may also be too low.

• As CB said - you need to use an espresso grind

You need to tamp properly (test as you go and adjust accordingly)

Machine needs to be HOT

What machine are you using?

• CB

Use and Espresso grind (and espresso bean)  made for making espresso - much finer than normal ground coffee and much darker bean. You probably aren't extracting enough oils that act as a surfacant to cause foam.