Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

How do restaurants maintain consistency with jalapeno peppers when their level of spiciness is inconsistent?

I occasionally eat an Arby's jalapeno slider and they manage to have extra hot jalapenos every time. However, the jalapenos I buy from the grocery can range from extremely mild, to really hot no matter the time of year, or the appearance of the pepper 🌶️.

All Tropicana oranges are cuttings, meaning they are clones of each other. If we think in people terms, a clone will be about the same, compared to a 360lb black man vs an Asian 5ft 1 girl. So the, likely cloned, peppers that go into Amalgamated Pepper Group's canned pepper farm's stock are all the same. All the same DNA that gives them the same amount of heat.

Again, great Danes and Yorkies are all canis lupus familiaris. 

This is really weird!  I've eaten jalapenos my whole life - fresh, canned, at a restaurant, etc and they always seem the same.  They have a definite pop, but they're not blasting heat like a ghost pepper or anything.  Could this be a storage problem?  Maybe they're messing up the temp or humidity (or they don't control the humidity).  You should ask them.  I'd think this would bother customers, because most people won't taste test them before adding to something . 

They probably have consistant suppliers and the hot ones are a requirement with the suppliers.

• CB

They have single source supplier and I am sure the contract states the jalapenos must be within a certain minimum (and likely maximum) scoville scale range. Grocery store aren't that particular. 

I'm not sure but those jalapenos make my nose all firey red 👺👺👺