Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

James asked in Business & FinanceInvesting · 2 months ago

Is leaving university to get a job to invest in the stock market logical?

So I am currently in my first year of studying computer science now its everything I thought it would be however im just tired of doing coursework and tests every week as I have been doing for years. Youre probably thinking well first year isn't even hard compared to 2nd and 3rd. That's my point I don't want to know how hard it can get. I want money.

So I currently hold support for my life from the maintenance loan I don't work. The stock market after 1 year of research and testing seems stupid for someone not to be invested. My thinking is if I dropped out after the first year and find a job and invest a lot into the market for the next 5-10years statistically I would not have to work like a proper job ever.(like full time) 

University just doesn't make enough sense as if I stay the course of 3 years get my degree and find a graduate job ill probably be earning the same as everyone without a degree for like 1-5 years. By that time someone working a standard job who invested in the market would have LOADS of money if invested correctly if you think about it its realistic. 

So yeah it really does come down to market performance but I have faith in US and UK economy to come through. 

Is my logic on dropping out retarded?

Please don't answer and say "do both" yes i know the outcome would probably be way better but I can't stand university and I'm only in first year and can't imagine the stress of next year.

1) Given that your grammar is on the level of an average 6 year old, you should stay in school. 

2) Investing doesn't require day to day monitoring of the market. Trading does but that's not what you asked. 

3) "I have faith in US and UK economy to come through." Honestly, if you think that with Biden as president you need to take some Econ classes. The US economy is going to tank hard pretty soon. 

• garry

question is who will touch you without a degree or any experience , you do knw there 3 types of bonds , secured different types , laws governing how you operate .. dont you ! of course you know about ordinary and blue chips !! you might be lucky to get a job as a runner , seller or investor , no way .. and forget about being an adviser .

• kswck2

Not if that university job cm with healthcare benefits. 

For someone your age, the total insanity of your thoughts makes perfect sense.  The old story we all learned was about a young guy who woke up on his 21st birthday to discover that his Dad the stupid idiot  had miraculously become a genius overnight.  Just stay in school and accept that like a bad cold, your stupidity will soon disappear.

The stock market is a risk industry, there are millionaires that lost their wealth in a single day and there are people with nothing that became millionaires, it's generally unpredictable, thus, don't test the depth with both your feet, you need some backup.

• ?

First of all, I think if you are down about the whole college thing, it may be worth rethinking what you are going to college to attain or it might be a bad idea for you entirely. Maybe a community college is more your speed. Theres nothing wrong with that. I dont like the idea of getting in debt 10k or more just for college fyi. I think everyone who wants to go to college should seriously consider the debt they have to rack up. It can be life altering. Anyhow, thats the college part. As for the stocks part, I think theres a good chance that you are thinking unrealistically. It could be done, though. Do you think you will be good enough at it? Theres only one way to find out and thats to get your feet wet. Put your money where your mouth is. If you start, though, be sure that you know what there is to know and that you have supreme confidence in yourself doing that. Its either sink or swim. If you try to swim, you cant easily give up as so many do. I recommend stocks from $2-$10. That way if youve chosen well, youre looking at thousands in gains instead of 10s or 100s in gains. Thats what I do and Ive earned 10s of thousands over about 7 years. Dont let what Ive done get your hopes up too much. Its not typical. Whatever you do, good luck to you!

Computer Science is a vocational degree.  If you absolutely hate doing any coding at all you might want to consider switching to a logic based degree without coding content such as Maths, Law or Natural Language AI.  Or you could continue with your current degree but chose second year electives such as Relational Databases that have no coding content.  The logic associated with that course is the same as that taught in Lingustics (if the sky is blue, it must be Tuesday etc).  Personally I loved the coding and found it incredibly easy but everything depends on how your brain is wired.

CS jobs are well paid.  If you find the right start-up, you will be extremely well paid. You work for 3-5 years building sweat equity being paid in crypto and then the business goes public.  There are lots of 20 something Bitcoin millionaires in San Francisco. 

We have had an abnormally long bull market, you need to look at average returns for the last 50 years not those of the last 10 to get an idea of what investing can do.  Hard to beat the market indices year in year out.  Best way to get rich is to finish your CS degree, find a great start-up, put your savings into ETFs and leave them alone.

If you drop out now you will find yourself working a Starbucks type job.  Don't, just don't.  If you are feeling depressed, spend more time outside.

Source(s): CS grad

The stock market doesn't work well as a steady source of income. Investing in yourself makes far more sense. 

As long as you have a few million to invest, its fine.

I made lots of money from the stock market over the years. But 99.999% of people under 35 cannot consistently make enough money in stocks to quit their jobs.

The market is littered with idiots who thought they could day trade their way to riches.

• Tavy

James there is a worldwide pandemic. Millions out of work, businesses gone bust.

What the hell would you invest in ?