Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 2 months ago

What am I allergic to in green leafy vegetables ?

I can’t eat green leafy vegetables or I will get a headache, get sleepy, and not sleep well. I CAN eat a ton of broccoli with no issues, but I get an allergic reaction to kale and spinach. This is disappointing since these vegetables are among the 3 healthiest. What in these vegetables could I be allergic to?

I can eat a ton of carrots too without issue.

• kswck2

You need to be tested by an allergist to make that determination. 

They're not 'healthier' than other vegetables - variety is the key.

• ?

A lot of people are very sensitive the the lectins in kale.  Lectins help protect a plant from being eaten. Gluten is a lectin, but there are many others.  I'd suggest that you simply try eliminating kale from your diet and see if that makes a difference.  Or eliminate both kale and spinach.  There is nothing magical about either of these leafy greens and you can certainly try other "lettuce" types.

Without getting an allergen test, to determine what in common with kale and spinach, that you are reacting to, it would be impossible to guess what you are having said reaction to.

Do you have the same reaction to both cooked and raw spinach/Kale. 

• ?

Did you buy organic vegetables? It can be that you get a reaction to toxic chemicals used in common agriculture. Glyphosate is very dangerous but there are at least 50 other and they are hardly tested.

• ?

You would have to speak with a medical professional best of luck