Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous

Need help figuring out how to say this?

So I don't want to sound racist.  However if I tell people that skin color is meaningless non sense and then point out how a black person is less likely to have a job, that contradicts how skin color is meaningless non-sense.

If I believe in white privilege (like the fact that black people are LESS likely to have a job) but then say skin color is meaningless non-sense, that might make people think I'm confusing, contradicting, or hypocritical (the last thing I wanna be).

So how can I tell someone skin color is meaningless non-sense and avoid sounding racist and still admit the fact that white people are more likely to have jobs than black people?

If I said "Skin color is meaningnful and isn't non-sense"  Someone might say "You're a racist"

Yet on the other hand

Me-An example of white privilege is how white people are more likely to have a job than black people.  Skin color is meaningless nonsense

Someone-You just said skin color is meaningless non-sense but you just admitted white people have the privilege to be employed more often than black people.

I don't wanna contradict what I said (the last thing I wanna be is a hypocrite).

Need help admiting that skin color sometimes makes a difference without being racist (as a white person is MORE likely to have a job than a black person).

A few years ago, I stopped to have a cup of coffee. In the corner was a black woman doing what looks like homework. Then her phone rings and she goes off on the caller. She’s dropping mf’s, n-words, bit ches and then. I realize, she’s talking to her kids. As the manager asks her to tone it down, or take it outside. She tells her daughter, this ***** wants me to go outside. Shortly, she returns and finishes her paperwork. As I’m refilling my cup, the lady turns in her job application, YES, HER JOB APPLICATION. 

I told the lady behind the counter, I guess she won’t get the job because she’s black.  She replied I wouldn’t hire that n word again. Here’s the catch, of the three of us, I was the only white person.

That's insulting.   Don't say ANYONE's skin color is nonsense.  In fact, don't talk.

Source(s): GAAAGAAGAAAAAA

I agree. I always say that it's not the skin color that makes me not like or ignore someone. It's the attitude! Your skin can be magenta or olive green I don't care.

What you say, how to act, your vibe, that matters.

• ?

Skin color may be meaningless nonsense to YOU, but it's not meaningless nonsense to other people -- such as racists who might be in a position to hire people.

In other words, you are not contradicting yourself, because you don't represent everyone in the world. What you're essentially saying is, "Skin color SHOULD be regarded as meaningless, but unfortunately, a lot of people -- racists -- still think it matters."

Maybe it is all better left unsaid. It adds nothing meaningful to the debate.