Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous

Should I ask my TA last quarter for help?

I thought the TA who taught my discussion was really cute and so fit and smart, although I kept it to myself and never flirted with him. I did pretty badly on my final, didn't fail, but I went to look over what I had missed. After asking him to explain some answers, I asked him if next chem quarter would be easier. He said it should be easier and he's not teaching next quarter, but there's peer tutoring available if I have trouble, and if I'm still having trouble, then to email him. 

So obviously I'm not doing too well because I don't have a strong foundation and I don't know whether I should email him or what I should say. I know he has his PhD oral defense pretty soon, so will he even have time to help me.

You had your time with him, it's time to move on like all adults have to do (you are an adult too). You have different and more current resources for help. So you should respect other people's time she not make them work for free, and instead use regular channels for help. Yes it was fun to have him as your TA, but the chapter has closed and you need to let it. 

The weeks leading up the my PhD oral defense was one of the busiest times in my life. I can't speak for him but this generally isn't a good time to request other people's time, they barely have enough for themselves. 

• drip

You have other options. Go to your professor and peer tutoring. He won’t have time right now to help you.  

Go ahead and email him, but don't do it excessively. If he is staying in academia the written AND ESPECIALLY the oral qualifying examination s are the make or break point of his future career.

That you find him physically attractive and have a crush on him is normal. but let him take the initiative. Don't let your hormones take over your actions. Use your free will to try to control your actions. Yes, infatuation DO suck. especially when you know and partially understand what your hormones are doing to your brain and behavior. I had a crush on my mineralogy professor. 

I've seen 2 people fail their oral qualifying exams and their committees refused to retest them. That this was the mid 2980s is irrelevant. 

exhaust peer tutoring and the professor's office hours before contacting this guy.  Orals virtually require him to study and review 60 hours a week as is. -- grampa  [married 32 years to Uni Professor]