Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

My mom doesn’t want me going to community college!?

I’m currently a junior in high school, and my mom doesn’t like the idea of me going to community college she says the community college is the worst thing you can do and that I should go to the big university/college. I’m telling her I don’t want to rack up debt and I want to start my career sooner (i’m looking at two fields respiratory therapist and dental hygienist). She says that a community college (associates degree) degree is not a degree. I’m telling her those are trades, that every field has trades, such automotive (mechanic) construction (Carpenter), etc. does anyone have advice on what I can say any thoughts opinions leave them down below!

You're going to have to decide which way you want to go -- trade or profession.  You can become a hygienist by going to a community college, but you need a college degree to become a respiratory therapist.

• ?

A person can earn an Associates Degree in a community college.  If you want to be a Dental Hygienist.............just go to the Community College..........because a Bachelor's Degree is not need for this job.  As for the Respiratory Therapist..............go to a            4-year college.

Talk to your counselor. Pay attention to your counselor. Before you work on an argument with your mother, look at her education and career, or lack thereof. Big Universities are very expensive, impersonal, force-fed competitive and do not support the goals you mentioned. Unless you are very fluent in calculus, a more humble choice may be the best.

You have valid reasons for not attending a big university and racking up a lot of debt. I'd say just ignore her reasons--because her statements have little to no truth in them. I don't know why she's so dead set against it, but your instincts are right--and you should follow them.  

As for what to say to her, that's harder to answer. You can insist and you can argue--but it may or may not do any good. You may also be able to reach her by being less confrontational, but that's a question only you can answer. 

Is she paying for your schooling?  Or are you?  If you are, then you have a right to do what YOU want to do. Go where YOU want to go. If she is, then she has a right to give you INPUT--but not to the extent where you will be unhappy about it. So, not knowing your mom, we can't really tell you which of these will work better. I'd have a college counselor talk to her about what does and does not constitute a "degree"--an AA or AB degree is sometimes considered inadequate for some positions, but NOT for the ones you mentioned--there are good opportunities out there for someone who has one. Have a pro talk to your mom about this--show her statistics and research. 

That may turn the tide for you. 

If she is paying for your education, great, go to whatever university she is okay with.  If not and you are sensible and want to transfer into a good school and pay roughly half what everyone else is paying.

I didn't go to community college, but at the time the university I went to was about $800 for 12 or more units (I often took 20+ units taking advantage of the low price).  If I were to have to do it today, I would absolutely go to community college first today.

Also, as a community college instructor I also teach at one of the largest and most respected state universities in the country and ranking national research university.  The quality of your instruction is often top notch at a community college and you generally do not have teaching assistants teaching your classes as might be common at some of the larger universities.  There is no reason to believe a large urban community college is anything other than a fantastic institution of learning.

• ?

Tell her about my experience:  I started out at a community college and eventually ended up with an M.A. in biology from a state university and a Ph.D. in entomology from the University of California, Berkeley.

Your mom is either pretending to be ignorant, or she actually is ignorant, I am not sure which. Associate's degrees ARE degrees, and they are recognized as such by employers. And starting out at community college is a SMART MOVE, because you're right, you'll save a considerable amount of money that way, and you can always transfer your two year credits into a four year degree program later on, and attend the larger school when you are ready.

I've attended local community colleges in different places around the country, and the quality of the education is just the same as it would be in a larger school. In fact, it's actually BETTER in some cases. A smaller school means there is more individual attention given to the students, and they are actually treated like people instead of like numbers. Given a choice, I would rather go to one of them than to a large university.

• April

Respiratory Therapy and Dental Hygiene aren't bad career fields to get into. Maybe she's concerned there aren't a huge amount of jobs in your area (or a local community college....would you need to move to go to school?) Do some local searches on Indeed to show her what you could be earning. However, Respiratory Therapists are highly recruited in hospitals and nursing homes, so you should be able to land something. Dental hygienists can make good money.

If you do the proper research, attending a CC is very affordable. Too many students get into liberal arts majors (music, art, film, communications, etc.) and rack up a huge amount if student loans they'll never be able to pay back.

Back when I was a senior in high school, I got into the community college/university debate with my family because I wanted to go for Accounting. Either way, what you choose to do with your life is up to you. At least your parents should be happy that you want to make a path for yourself.

• drip

Two great fields to get into.  But very different fields. You would have a very different work day.

You may want to check out radiology tech and ultrasound tech, both fields you can continue your education are earn a Bachelor degree at a later time if you want to.   A two year ultrasound tech program is an Associate degree. An associate degree is a degree.

Your students loans will be YOUR debt. Not your parents.  Thinking about that now is a smart move.

These fields can get you a decent salary and they are in demand.

I would definitely get a meeting with your CC. Check out all your interests there. Make appointments with the head of each department. Take a tour of the campus. Take your mom with you. She can ask her own questions.  

investigate your state's licensing requirements for respiratory therapy and dental hygiene.  Then you'll know what preparation is needed to get going in those lines of work.  College college [ie -- 4 year] isn't everyone's short term goal -- and it doesn't seem to be yours.  As for Mum -- she's going to love you no matter what you choose to do for work [even if it doesn't fit her dreams and hopes]