Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

How do older single people live fulfilling lives?

I live and work in a small town and I’ve found that once you get into your thirties, it becomes hard to make friends with people since most people in that age group and above get married and have kids and don’t have time to socialize with others. Since I’m single and in my mid thirties this is why I have such an empty life. How do single people who don’t get married get around this? Do they just live boring lives by themselves and stay at home all day since they have no spouses 

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favourite answer

You have four choices.

1.  Choose to get to know people younger than you.  Remember the younger you are the more accepting you are to make new friends.

2.  Broaden your scope geographically to increase your opportunities to meet new friends.

3.  Hang out with the married folk.  They all secretly envy you and are eager to live vicariously through you.  You may not be allowed to live in married people land, but you can visit.

4.  All of the above.

• 2 months ago

No. They go to concerts and lectures, and chat to other people who are alone, in the interval. They take up a hobby that takes them out of their house at least once a week, and they volunteer to take a turn providing coffee and buns. They read, they paint, they sew, they learn an instrument, they cook.If they meet someone regularly at a concert or at a hobby session and get to like them, they invite them home for coffee or for a light supper.

They may even write a novel ...

• Foofa
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It's probably easier to be an older single in a city than in a small town. In bigger places people have other single friends like themselves and they have events and things to go to. They can join clubs that cater to their interests, they can take classes, they can involve themselves in charities and things like that. Your problem likely isn't being single so much as just living in a town with limited recreational options. 

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You have an empty life because you're not doing anything to change it.  There are millions of single people in their 30's in the USA alone.  Join a social group - there are many on the meetup.com website.  

• i + i
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Did you stay at home all day before 

you were in your 30's? Life is what 

ever YOU make of it, regardless of 

marital status, OR age. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.