Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Is your employer allowed to lock up your personal belongings while you’re at work?

My employer has a rule of “no phones” so unless you’re a manager or higher up you’re not allowed to have your phone on you at all from the time you clock in to the time you clock out and if you do go on it, they will take it away and lock it in the office or send you home. Is this legal or just unethical?

• ?

When you have scheduled breaks and lunch, you can tend to your phone wants and needs.

You are not entitled to use your employers money, which is your paycheck, to mess with your phone when you are supposed to be working.

How would you like to hire someone, paid by the hour, for 6 hours....then, that person spends 1O minutes per hour on their phone. . . totaling an hour a day. Five days a week, 20 days a month. 

That means you would have to pay your employee for 20 hours of pay, just so they can use their phone when they are supposed to be working. Don't you realize the loss an employer incurres if every employee did that? At LEAST 20 hours per person worth of production time is lost PLUS the hourly wage goes down the drain due to phone use. Times that loss (20 hrs @ say $ 10.00 per hour is $200...times that by, say 10 employees, and the boss loses $2,000.00 in wages, PLUS what he matches to Social Security AND his unemployment compensation fees that are based on worker's hours. So, the loss goes deeper than you realize.

Clearly you are intelligent enough to now see and understand how and why phone usage on the job is a horrible loss for the employer.

I do this with my employees, I run a small sized business with 4 rookies who cold call up people who wish to switch energy providers (gas and electricity mainly).

I ask them to put away their bags in their lockers and also keep the phones on silent no matter what.

Its my rules and its their job,  that is until they break my rules then they know where the door is.

This is not your home, its a business and this is an office.  You youth today are lazy and demanding as if somebody owes you something,  I got news for you gen x kids - NO NO and NO.

Start doing some work and earn your way in life.  Comprendez kiddies ?

If you know it is not allowed why are you doing it?  They pay you, and from the start of your shift you are to follow the rules of the institute you work for.  Maybe the work you do is confidential and integrity is required that they can't take the risk of you taking pictures.  Unless your employer is doing something illegal find another way of reporting them, otherwise do as your told this is what they are paying you for and there are thousands out there who are looking for work who would be happy to step in your shoes.  You are acting like a child.

It's neither illegal nor unethical. You always have the choice to not accept employment under the employer's terms and conditions, as long as those things are not federally discriminatory. They should permit you access to it during unpaid mealtimes.  Before phones were personal items to carry around, you could not use the phone during work hours. During an unpaid meal break, you could leave the property to use a pay phone.  If the policy is to refuse to give you your phone to use on your unpaid meal break, that's a problem...but pushing the issue might cost you your job. It would take a group action to possibly accomplish a change in policy.

It is perfectly legal to require you to leave ALL personal belonging with security while on the premises. In fact, if you are issued a uniform, they can even prohibit personal clothing on company property.

Face it, even the laws that are made to protect regular employees are worthless because the employers find a way around them. If your hair is long or you have a beard and they don't want you to they can fire you. On the other hand if you are gay and grab another man's *** and they don't like it you are safe because to fire you it would violate the gay persons rights, even though it creates problems in the work place. Same rule applies to other supposed factions of society who believe that being different allows them more liberties.

I'm not sure if they can legally send you home for not handing over the phone.

But they may NOT take your phone without your consent.

• Tavy

legal in the UK I did it to my staff.

• ?

It is BOTH LEGAL and ETHICAL.  Employers are allowed to make "reasonable" decisions.  I presume that if there is an emergency your family could reach you through your employer's front desk.  You can always resign over this policy, but you will NOT qualify to collect unemployment, because you resigned without cause.  My concern is your use of pot.  Are you subject to random testing?

Source(s): education/experience

it dont sound right to me