Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 months ago

What is your opinion of people defending themselves in a DUI case?

Do they stand chance of winning?

• ?

I see a fair number of DUI/DWI cases in my local and County Court.  I find that the odds of walking away with NOTHING are slim to none.  The odds of walking away with school and the charge being dropped on the FIRST arrest are probably 50/50.  The chance of walking away WITH A DRIVER LICENSE after the first arrest are pretty good.  After the second (or third), slim to none.  Some attorneys are able to convince the judge that the license is necessary for employment, so a restricted license is issued.  I see a handful of breathalyzers being required in cars, but they are VERY expensive to purchase, must be monitored and adjusted regularly.  I don't know ANY attorney who will set foot in Court on a DUI/DWI first offense for less than $5,000, usually $6,500.  Full trial?  $5,000 plus approximately $275.00 hourly plus $1,500 per Court appearance.  I'm sure the odds/statistics are different in other States (or perhaps in other cities in my State).  The Courts where I am order weekends in jail/prison on the third arrest.

.

All of the above, of course, are for "no accident/no personal injury/no body damage" arrests AND for NOT testing more than 1.5 times the legal limit.  Ask an attorney in your area for his/her experience.

.

Defending yourself is the same as stamping "fool" on your forehead.  I've NEVER seen anyone who defended himself/herself walk away without a ticket/steep fine/school/a combination of all three.

Source(s): education/experience
  • ?

“He who represents himself has a fool for a client” --Abraham Lincoln

• Steven

They might have a sad story that makes them seem pathetic, but really no there is no excuse. Especially in FL where I live, the drinking and driving laws are very strict and punishment severe. To me it is sad when very young people drink and drive, just discovering who they are, barely know anything about life etc. And they get killed and or kill someone else.

Such tragic loss for nothing...they never get to grow up and have a full life and the person they killed is taken away from a family forever. It really can be very tragic. As for grown adults who truly know better, and don't get help for drinking or don't care to, or don't have the regard for other people I have no sympathy for it.