Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 month ago

Question about bullying/harassment?

So alot of teachers tell young kids to tell their parents if they are being bullied/harassed.

Except the parents have NO AUTHORITY over kids who aren't theirs (unless they work with kids at say a school).

So one student is bullying another student.  The bullied student tells his/her mom/dad.  The mom/dad has NO AUTHORITY over the student who is bullying/harassing.  What are they expected to do about it?  

• ?

The SCHOOL is responsible to keep the students safe.

If my kid was being bullied, I wouldmarch right down to the principal's office and DEMAND a meeting withthe bully and their parents to put a hault to the situation.

At thattime, I would also mention that if this nonsense does not immediately stop, I will contact the local paper and nightly news station that XYZ School and Mr and Mrs Bully parents do not take bullying seriously. Shame Them All.

advocate for the child, talk to the other parents, emotionally support their own child.....not do what my parents did.....after my bully was released from jail for shooting someone over a parking space...he was welcomed into their home...

What do you mean "mom/dad has NO AUTHORITY over the student who is bullying/harassing"??   A parent has all the authority they need to demand action by the school, including investigation of the circumstances and involvement of the bullying child's parents, if not also the police.

What more "authority" does any parent need?

"Hello, principal?  Someone is making my child's life a living hell. Do something about it or I will do it myself."

In severe cases the police will intervene. 

• blank

I'm not casting judgement over any of the five other answers so far - but none of them even hint at helping the bullied kid learn how to cope.

What about helping the bullied kid learn how to become less of a target?  How about helping the kid learn how to defend himself (in case the bullying escalates to something physical)?

Bullying is wrong - but bullies always have and always will exist.  They don't stop at HS graduation either.  Sure, turn them in, but that often only makes things worse.  The only true way to stop a bully is to not be a victim.  

Seems helping the kid build his self esteem and how to be confident enough to not let the bullies get to him will go much further in solving the kid's problems long term.

• ?

The parents tell the school and demand action be taken. If the school does nothing then there are legal actions that can be taken such as the school system or administration may be sued.or a police report could be filed.

The parents ask for a meeting between the principal, the kid's parents and you.   If that doesn't work, go straight to the school board.

• Maxi

Take a photo of them and phone the police....the bullies would soon disappear

• ?

The report it to the school.

• Jake

A person can battle bullying and other sins using the rosary and fasting.