Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 month ago

Elton John files law suit against Trump illegally using "Philadelphia Freedom" at CPAC event.?

The Daily Mirror UK posted, "Elton John and Rocket Records Files Suit Against Donald Trump and CPAC" for using his copyrighted material, "Philadelphia Freedom" in a £10 million lawsuit. This morning it was reported by CNN, ABC and Fox News that Mr. John has had enough. The record company states, "Trump has illegally used this song and others at many of his events and rallies". The UK Daily News has quoted Sir Elton as saying, "I appreciate people who enjoy my my work, but I am steadfast in saying I would never allow my music to be played as part of political power grab by one of the most reviled and detestable U.S. politicians such as Donald Trump".

Since Sir Elton John has dual citizenship, he can sue in both U.S. and UK courts, since the event was broadcasted internationally.

Universal Music Group which heads the Rocket label, states: "Our position is that Mr. John's music is not in the public domain and may not be used without expressed permission". Previously, music icon Bruce Springsteen said in a cease and desist order that his copyrighted song, "Born In The USA", may not be part of any Trump rally, and that in doing so would lead to legal action. Columbia Records, which represents Mr. Springsteen has said they would not tolerate playing his music at any Trump rally.This opens other lawsuits by copyright holders such as Mowtown and MMJ Records along with Epic Records, a former CBS company, after songs by Michael Jackson were played at similar rallies.

The question is, "Do you think it is OK to use copyrighted material against the artists' wishes in a political venue without permission and to continue to do so once you have been told not to?

This story is completely fictitious. I posted it as an example that people will believe anything they hear. I researched networks, record labels and wrote it as a news story. Trump does the same thing; think about it next time you read or hear something.

Good! His music is not about hate and division. 

• 1 week ago

As long as nobody is being PAID for the performance, and it's not a "dramatic work" (e.g., show tunes), the public performance may be exempt under US copyright laws.

Source(s): 17 USC s. 110 Limitations on exclusive rights
  • ?

Elton John should be sued for appropriating American culture in his songs. Putting on a  southern  accent and singing about peaches in Georgia,songs about cowboys,Philadelphia.

Everything here is a lie, we heard enough lies over the last 4 years and witnessed enough lies and corruption.  You could have asked the question without all this smoke and mirrors.  Let me guess you are a Trump supporter even though he holds the record for being the biggest looser and most impeachments in his 4 year term than any other president ever.  

• ?

oh, SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP!!

• Pete

Obviously it's not OK or legal to play copyrighted music at political events without the artists permission. That's why there's a law suit.

Too bad for the fruit cake.

Trump can play what he wants.

So if I'm playing music and others are hearing it, that's illegal now? LOL, fvck these pampered, overpaid crybaby music artists.

Seems reasonable.

What's your question?

Also; you don't need to have citizenship to be able to launch a lawsuit.