Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsCycling · 1 month ago

This piece of plastic came with brake cables and shift cables repair kit, does anyone know what it is for?

whole thing is plastic except for the metal tip on one end. 

No instruction. This came with a Shimano brand brake cables for road bikes. 

• ?

A photo of the whole thing with a ruler to show scale might help. I would put it in my pocket and show it to a bike mechanic the next time I went near a shop. Actually seeing it and holding it would tell him a lot that we can't know.

• David

Looks like a half-sleeve or cover that goes over the cable sheath before it’s wrapped with bar tape, to make for a smoother transition.

I searched & searched the Shimano website & came up empty too.  The only thing I can possibly think of of, maybe it's supposed to be some sort of temporary guide for the cables and/or housings.

My number repair source has always been Park Tool.  They show no such thing in this video on Brake Housing & Cable Installation. 

https://youtu.be/oL82JM7H2Bw