Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 2 months ago

What can I do?

I’m a 22 year old community college student living with my parents because the campus is very close to home. They don’t want me paying rent because I’m a student but I want to contribute. What should I do? I’m not comfortable living with my parents like a child and relying on them to do everything for me. 

• L

Buy groceries and pay some of their bills.  Help out with household and outdoor chores.

Do some chores--take your parents out to eat or buy them something nice, open an account and deposit money in it for them--pay for some life insurance for them--pay a utility bill or two--there are so many ways you could contribute it's not even worth listing them all. 

If your parents are indeed "doing everything" for you, then obviously you should take over some of this. Yes, I'm talking housework. Doing at least your own laundry, helping with cooking, cleaning, washing the dishes, carrying out the rubbish, making your own bed, mowing the lawn - and doing all of these voluntarily and without waiting to be asked.

• Lili

If you don't have a job, obviously you can't put money into savings as some people are suggesting. 

In any case, you asked not what to do with the rent you're not paying but rather how you can contribute to the household. The best way to do that is to handle various household chores and relieve your parents of the burden of them.  Do the laundry, the grocery shopping, run errands, and cook meals two or three times a week.  Clean the house, or at least the most used rooms. Scrub the bathrooms. Walk and bathe and groom the dog if you have one.

There will be myriad ways you can contribute and make life a little easier for your parents. Just look around.

put the money aside for the future.  one day, there will be the opportunity to gift them with either the money or something they want and you'll have the cash to do so

Get As! A good scholarship will be more beneficial, in the long run, than any money you can bring in with a part-time job. 

In addition, don't act like a child! Don't expect your parents to cook and clean for you. At the very least, be invisible: do your own cooking, cleaning, laundry etc. so it's like you're not even there. At best, contribute to the family's well-being: clean the rest of the house, cook dinner for everyone a few nights a week, mow the lawn, take the car in for oil changes, etc. But only to the extent it doesn't interfere with your studies. 

• drip

Speaking as a parent, I would like you to do things around the house for me.  Without me asking you. Mow the yard, shovel the snow, vacuum and mop the floors (weekly),  Clean out the gutters. Clean the garage.  Make dinner once a week. Bar-B-Q in then summer.

If you aren’t already, do your laundry, clean your bathroom, clean the kitchen after I make you dinner.   

Take care of your own phone bill, car- gas, insurance and maintenance. 

Get A’s and save your money 

This comes up fairly often. If your parents are wealthy, accept their gift with gratitude.

But if they're regular working people--and especially if they're not making a lot of money--you can do a few things that will help.

One, pay that rent they won't accept to yourself. Put it in a dedicated savings account, the first of every month, and make no withdrawals. By the time you leave your parents' home, you will be able to pay your security deposits, buy the necessities of your first place, or whatever else will be a major expense of independent living. It's also a great way to ensure you can manage your money well.

Two, don't let them do everything for you. Insist on doing your own laundry, running your own errands rather than letting Mom pick up your drugstore stuff, cleaning your room yourself, washing or gassing your car, etc. They want to make life easier for you by doing things like they always have, but by taking over you're learning to be independent. Make sure they understand that you're not rejecting their help but fostering your own ability.

Three, take over some aspects of the physical running of the household. Make it understood that you clean all the bathrooms once a week, that taking out the trash is your job, that every Thursday you're cooking and cleaning up after dinner, that you are the snow shoveler or lawn mower. Figure out tasks you can reliably take over and do them without ever needing to be asked.

• y

As a parent, I did not want my kids wasting money on me, on rent, on food or what not. If they lived at home and were going to school. If they lived at home and were working, not going to school, then I expected payment, small of course, but a little something so they learned.

College limits one potential income stream while they attend, but even if it is basket weaving. It is learning, moving forward, part of their foundation. That is worth giving them break if I can.

• Katy M

Help out with the housework and pay for all your own bills (cell phone, car, insurance, etc). Then just be grateful that you can save money so you have a bit of a safety net when you do move out.