Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 month ago

I heard that evolution is true WITHIN A GIVEN SPECIES. Is this accurate?

30 Answers

Relevance
  • Tom
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Sure---Animals change form over millions of years.  It is pretty much obvious from the data.  This does NOT conflict with the Bible, it only suggests that  God's "DAYS"  of Creation lasted millions of Human Years.  only "literalists" get confused. 

• 1 month ago

It's true within a species and also in terms of speciation.

• Hogie
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It's commonly referred to as micro-evolution, and holds true; nearly unlimited variation within a species. 

• 1 month ago

When the word 'evolution' is said in dictionaries to mean, "origination of species by development from earlier forms, not by special creation", we see why this Q belongs in the R&S site. But when we know that it also refers to changes within species that adapt to changing situations, then those who believe in God creating everything have no problem with that. It is too obvious for words and nothing in such adaptation contradicts the biblical claim that, "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth" and all the life forms that then appeared. The problem lies in this difficult word 'species' for there is no precise definition anywhere as to what constitutes one species, distinct from another.

Evolutionists would claim that all species are loosely linked by virtue of what they call the "branching" of varying life forms from the original living cells on Earth. However, Evolutionary theory cannot say anything about how the first living cells came into being, but many evolutionists go outside the remit of evolutionary theory here, muddying the already muddy 'primordial swamp' they envisage.

As evolution believes that all species developed from previous forms of species, they use that to avoid the problem of that word 'species'. Certainly, man-made classifications of living creatures came after the event and are constantly being up-dated with fresh discoveries. So, I suggest that within any given species there is evidence of that species adapting (i.e. evolving), but from a Christian point of view, no amount of time will ever result in one species becoming a different species. A lion will never become a giraffe. A lark will never become an albatross, not even with the most cunning genetic interference and breeding humans may intelligently design.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Insomuch as all evolution has to begin within a species, with the result of cumulative changes over time causing the population to eventually become so genetically and morphologically distinct from its ancestor population that it can no longer be considered the same species, then yes... that statement is true.

However, insomuch as it's meant to imply that evolution can't occur on a larger scale-- that only what Creationists tend to like to refer to as "microevolution" can occur-- then the statement is false.

We know species can evolve into other species.  We've observed the process take place many times.

• 1 month ago

"Science & Mathematics - Biology" would be a better place to ask your question.

I think you are a science denier and a waste of time.

• Tony B
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

You know, it seems to me that most of the people who question evolution here (on a site that has NOTHING at all to do with evolution) are American Christians. It makes me wonder what on Earth you folks are being taught in school, or do you just not go? Don't get me wrong, in the UK we have MORE than our fair share of stupid people but that's stupidity not ignorance.

Yes, it's true!!! Evolution occurs within a species. I hesitate to say “all species” because I don't know if that's actually true but, like I say, this is the Religion and Spiritually section and that has NOTHING to do with evolution.

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Yes, that is true, and it applies to every living species. It occurs faster in some species than others. And of course, when changes in a species reach a certain level, where the new form no longer resembles the original form, it only makes sense to consider it a new species.                        ,  

born again Christian biologist

• 1 month ago

it's true that genetic damage and inbreeding occur.  But a book cannot write itself, much less DNA.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Yes, but speciation is a myth. It’s never been documented. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.