Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsAstronomy & Space · 2 months ago

Why haven't humans been to the moon since 1972?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago
    Favourite answer

What would be the point of spending a zillion dollars to go revisit a cold dead rock? 

You know what we found the last time on that cold dead rock? Lots of smaller cold dead rocks.

Yay.

• 2 months ago

The real reason is an alien race warned us not to go back, they have bases on the dark side of the moon

• garry
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

we dont know how thats why , and the cost , spent enough sending a probe to mars , sending man , well not in our lifetime anyway , just a dream .

• 2 months ago

What would be the point?  It was a very expensive exercise mounted as a political stunt.  The economy was deteriorating in the early sixties without the stimulus of a war.  The "space race" was to try to get the public to work together to achieve something, just as they did in the war, WITHOUT killing everyone.  Having achieved its goal ( or not ) it had nothing further to offer for its extreme cost.

• 2 months ago

Well, I was working for NASA about the time your thinking of. What happened was that NASA's budget took a nosedive under the impetus of certain powerful senators and lack of interest in new space ventures by the public. I bailed out of NASA at that time and went to another government agency. I'm sure there were important people who did the same thing. Anyway, it's been largely a matter of funding space exploration in a time when there's been great demand for social  programs. Going to Mars is going to require a lot of public commitment that, to me, doesn't seem to be forthcoming in the present political climate. Remember, there are people on this forum who actually believe that the astronauts never went to the moon.

• james
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

Because we could not figure a way to exploit it 

for money. 

• Herve
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

There hasn't been a reason to send them.

• ?
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

Mostly due to the cost and that it was no longer politically favourable to return, but also there were some concerns about safety as they had a few accidents in their attempts.

• 2 months ago

Because it was considered too expensive and was partly a political stunt.

• 2 months ago

Because it is a dried up, sterile, irradiated, airless dustbowl, and there is just no point in going back.

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Very simple answer:  MONEY.  Congress cut off the funds to NASA manned flight to the MOON.  The last three missions were canceled.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.