Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 month ago

An American in my class (uk) told me Americans don't get paid vacation. Is this a myth?

He was saying they either get 0 or have to wait a year or more to get just 10 days off and rarely see more than that

Here in the UK we get 28 days by law no matter the job even retail. I actually get 33 days paid vacation because of the shop I work but average people here get 28-38 days paid every year. No such thing as under 28 days vacation..

Is the american lying in my class or is this true?

@xyzzy I don't mean paid holidays. We get 6 weeks + paid holidays so I guess we get about 7-8 weeks off a year by law if you include holidays. Hm so he was lying but still you only get 2 weeks off?? Lol i thought everyone in the world gets at least 4 weeks minimum damn

• ?

It's kind of misleading.

While it is true that there is no requirement in the US for an employer to provide employees with paid vacation - and many employers do not offer paid time off (especially lower level positions), every job I've had in my adult life has had a minimum of two weeks (10 days) paid, as well as paid sick days.

Some of them may have had a requirement that you work for a certain period of time before being eligible, however I was never told I couldn't use my vacation days (although I'm sure if I tried to take them right away someone might've had a problem with it).

My previous job I had 15 paid days off once I reached 5 years of employment, but even that was a bit misleading because, since I was paid hourly, if I worked overtime, I actually accrued even more paid time off. 

The same thing is true of my current position - while I only have10 days pto, I generally accrue a few more hours each year due to regularly working overtime (normal time is 8 hours, but I typically work a 9 hour shift - so I get paid time and a half for that extra hour in addition to accruing a bit of pto).

My work is also super-flexible, allowing me to be able to work from home if I need to, and as long as I don't have a looming deadline, I can pretty much come and go as I please. Plus the pay is good enough that if I run out of paid time off, I can always take a few unpaid days.

• ?

Thats pretty accurate.

YOU are lying. You KNOW that there is no government imposed standard. You also KNOW that companies that offer vacation rarely offer ONLY 10 days.

It is mostly up to each employer to determine the amount and the rules for accruing "vacation days", if any, based upon where you happen to live and how much they need the talent.

When I moved from California to Italy, for the same US corporation, my minimum annual vacation days instantly doubled, as required by Italian laws.

Europeans normally get much more vacation time than Americans. Working for a mid to large size company one might expect one week paid vacation per year starting after 1 years of employment. Additional time with the company frequently adds additional days of paid vacation a year but more than 2 weeks of paid vacation per year is somewhat less common.

• ?

Some companies have paid vacation policies, others do not. It is not mandatory.

Americans do not have national or state laws regarding paid vacations ... so, some employees get as many as six weeks paid and some as little as zero -- depends on bargaining power and labour shortage situation and unionization.

BY LAW we get nothing, but most companies still offer some way to receive paid vacation. for example, where I work I am able to start earning time off after being employed for 6 months and it will be quite a while before I've saved enough time off to take more than a day or two off. because I work customer service I don't get holidays off, but if I have to work on a holiday I get time and a half. I'm also not eligible for paid sick leave until I've been working for at least 6 months. 

America is terrible in terms of worker's rights. why do you think we rank compared to EU countries when it comes to things like standard of living and personal freedom?

It varies everywhere. It's a big country.  Many companies require some time on the job before giving paid time off.  And the more years you have, the more paid time off you generally EARN.  In spite of what you may hear in the media, the vast majority of employment is with small businesses, not huge corporations, and many small businesses can't afford the benefits some large companies pay.

• ?

He is somewhat mistaken. Americans get 8 to 10 paid holidays a year.  The amount of paid vacation varies from company to company. Many companies start people off with 5 to 10 sick days a year and the same amount of vacation the first year and two weeks vacation during year two to five and three weeks after that. Some companies allow you to accrue vacation and sick day. When I retired I had over a hundred sick day and almost two months of vacation.