Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingBaby Names · 2 months ago

Do you like the name Meryn for a boy?

• PR

Fern; Vance; Yale

The name Meryn makes me immediately remember the movie Exorcist.  The priest name was Merrin

Not at all. It's a better name for a girl.

It's not my taste in names.

• Lisa

The real question should be: would the boy who has that name like it?  And I can tell you this: most children do not like having an odd name.  They don't necessarily want the most common name, either, but a lot of children hate having a weird one.  Other kids may make fun of them for it, and you know that kids can sometimes be cruel.  And what is especially unfortunate about this name is that people won't know how to pronounce it based on the spelling.  So the boy will have a life time of people reading his name, pausing for a moment or two, and then saying, "Is that 'Merin?'"  "Is that Mery'in?"  "Is that Mern?"

It is very wise, when thinking about a name for a baby, to pick one that has a good chance of being liked by the child receiving it.  This, of course, also means finding a name that sounds good with the last name (the middle name doesn't matter that much as very few people actually use it).  In addition, if the last name is a very common on, it is good to pick a first name that is a little (not a LOT) unusual so that they are less likely to be confused with someone else.  On the other hand, if the last name is very unusual or quite long, then balance it with a more common or shorter first name.

Happy parenting!

Is it said as Mare-in?  Then, yes.  Not a fan of the spelling.  I'd prefer Marin or Maren.

Yes I think it's cute. Also love Meryl for a girl. 

Not at all......

• Jill

Not really.         

No, and neither will he.