Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 month ago

Hypothetically, how illegal is it to use a friends health card?

Me and my friend are both consenting, so nothing would be reported by the owner of the card or anything.  They just need to do tests provided by a family doctor but they don't have one, so I was hoping to help them out.  Coincidentally, my family doctor has been recently changed, so he doesn't know what I look like and wouldn't be able to recognize my substitute.  

I was wondering what you could be charged with if you were caught using someone else's health card?

• ?

BOTH OF YOU

If your friend is somehow discovered then both of you can get into legal trouble because you willingly assisted him/her in committing fraud.

If pressured, your friend will rat you out to lower his penalty. You can deny it but a judge or jury is likely to believe that you willing provided the insurance card to him/her.

• ?

That idea you are cooking up his FRAUD. And, it will notwork because the Dr officewill ask for ID.

Stop trying to Screw the healthcare system. God knows it is already a fiasco!

If you follow through with your plan, prepare forthe both of you to be arrested for fraud. Having that charge on your record is not good, especially to your future employers and or landlords who do a background check.

There is NOTHING hypothetical about it being 100% CRIMINAL FRAUD. It is also likely be result in improper treatment later when the test results show up in your medical records.

• ?

in the US its insurance fraud

It's felony insurance fraud.  Insurance fraud is never a misdemeanor.

• Sky

Very.  That would be insurance fraud.

Fraud is a serious crime.

Insurance fraud.  It's a felony.  If you have a record, three years in jail.

i wouldnt do it in case it is illegal

It might depend on the value of the services you stole but you could be charged with identity theft, fraud or other things.