Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous

why is "chinaman" considered a racial slur, when all it means is an asian person ?

we say black man and white man all the time, why is all of a sudden chinaman racits??

That does not make sense to me either. A man from Scotland is called a Scotsman, but nobody complains about that. A man from Wales is called a Welshman. etc. 

Th other thing is in North America they do not like to call Chinese people oriental. Apparently they have decided not to call oriental people oriental. 

Meanwhile the sign above my local restaurant says Oriental Restaurant, and my acupuncturist's card says Oriental Acupuncturist. He practices oriental medicine and calls himself oriental. 

Indians, and Turks are Asian, but not "Chinamen."  That word does NOT mean Asian!

Because Asian men have janitor faces.