Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsCycling · 1 month ago

Is a wheel truing stand essential for a cyclist?

Turn your bike upside down.  Tape two felt tips to the frame, either side of the wheel, equidistant so that the tip is near your rim.  Spin the wheel.  Anywhere the tip touches the wheel means that you need to tweak the the spokes until the wheel runs true.  Not a bad hack that costs you some tape and two felt tips.

I've been riding in a club for 35 years and I don't own a truing stand. Essential? I'd say "no."

• ALBERT

Not essential but sure helpful when you ride many miles, ( that with the skills to true a wheel properly).Because it is not a great experience to have a wobbly wheel. An other option is to have spare wheels available and bring the ones that need truing there!

Source(s): Cycled many miles for a living.

If you're a wheel builder then yes it is. Having it is useless, if you don't have the skills to use it.

Source(s): Motorized bicycle owner and builder.

A big yes for me.

"Essential" how?  If you plan on building your own wheels, it's crucial.  Even a Home Truing Stand runs about $138.95. https://www.parktool.com/product/home-mechanic-whe...  Professional models cost more.  

If you only have a slight wobble, use the rim brake pads as a guide to get it close.  Even then...I take it to a bike shop for them to double check my work.  For bikes with disc brakes, use a couple of zip ties.   

• David

Far from it.

Unless you plan to true and/or build your own wheels, you won’t have ANY use of a trueing stand.

Even if you plan to true and/or build wheels occasionally, a stand ISN’T required.

A stand makes it EASIER, faster. But it’s entirely possible to true or build good wheels simply using the frame/fork to hold the hub. Zip ties work well as reference points for round and true.