Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsAstronomy & Space · 1 month ago

Would humans be able to understand advanced extraterrestrials?

25 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favourite answer

There's arguments going both ways on this... the one I liked best was, they could dumb-down their interactions for us folk, but then resume their' "high-speak" so as  we'd not be able to understand them... 

You know how you talk to dogs...?  ("Oh, who's a good boy?!" "Here, Fido!"  "Roll over, and you get a treat!" )  it would be something similar... 

• 1 month ago

such beingsmay be a million years more advanced than us in science and engineering,hence what might they gain by lollygagging with earthly 2 leggers like us? not much,suppose they were to offer ( which of us?) science able to create VAST stores of energy for a planet that has used previous science advances to make warwarwar and more war,,,  ' nah,,leavem be they'd be the death of galaxies,  heathens they be'

we may find similar species at roughly the same level of advancement as us ,,or being with potential to be taught a lot by us,,if we are able to visit them.similar choice awaits us v them in that case

• ALBERT
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

We might first want to focus on understanding the mysteries of the creation around us. That is where all the answers lie!

• 1 month ago

Clarke's Law probably applies here:  any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic.

Source(s): Arthur C. Clarke
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Advanced extraterrestrials probably wouldn't care whether humans understood them or not; order of the food chain would maybe change too.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

IF THEY KNOWETH HOW TO SPEAK THE SAME LANGUAGE MAYBE:

• garry
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

do you speak swedish or russian !!!! think about it .

• 1 month ago

I think it's funny that most animal species can understand us, but we still can't understand them.

• mokrie
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

most can't understand Shakespeare from our own world so how could we understand a language millions of years beyond us? 

• 1 month ago

most would deny that fact i am living proof i have given sex to one human female my genetics are superior in every sense and a human who has been uhh adjusted to meet this capacity without surgical re-enhancement could not possibly be aroused nor excited by a mere mortal or their approach to any extra curricular activity...this is obvious fact they could not 

• 1 month ago

You are thinking about it in reverse.  Would advanced extraterrestrials bother to communicate with humans?

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.