Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Should I do what I want to do in this situation?

There is an open position in my department and I am interviewing people to fill the position.  The person with the best qualifications so far is a VERY BEAUTIFUL woman. She would sure make someone a trophy wife. My fellow supervisors tell me not to hire her as the male employees will be hitting on her constantly and distract her from her duties and that could be considered a hostile work environment.

Even some of the female employees have told me the same thing.  Should I listen to what I am being told and avoid possible problems and find someone else for the job.

I think what I want to do is offer her the job and if she accepts have a meeting of all my employees and telling them that anyone that gives her unwanted attention will be immediately terminated. It just does not seem right to deny a well qualifies  person a job just because they are beautiful.

Any and all advice will be appreciated.

This is why I would never work in an office environment can't deal with the politics.

You won't "avoid possible problems" by not hiring her.  You'll cause one.  Since she would have been hired if she was male, she'll be entitled to sue you for gender discrimination, and she should win.

If You are the person in charge of hiring and firing, then, every person on your staff who has come up to you and asked you to NOT hire her because she is very beautiful, needs to be written up.  And they need to be told...each and everyone separately WHY they are being written up.

Do YOU know why?

Because they are judging potential candidate by appearance alone.

No 'Judgey-judgey' at work.

NOW if you are the person in charge of hiring and firing, you need to understand that your company hired you to find and hire the BEST candidates for the job and that means Tall or short, ugly or beautiful, fat or thin, young or old, regardless of race, sex, nationality or political affiliation YOU have to hire the best person for the job or you are acting DIRECTLY AGAINST the best interests of the company.

Acting against the best interests of the company you work for will get you FIRED.

So...what do you do now?

#1 Call each and every employee who has come up to you and asked you to NOT hire her because she is very beautiful, in to your office ant tell them their discriminatory behavior will no longer be tolerated, they have a mark on their permanent record AND you EXPECT THEM to make whomever you hire feel like a member of the team and not a piece of meat.

#2 Keep interviewing and hire the person who has the BEST qualifications.

Oh...and if this person ever finds out that there was a question on hiring her only because of her looks...your company that you work for will have a lawsuit on their hands and it will point DIRECTLY AT YOU.  employees who bring lawsuits down on their employers become unemployed quickly.

So, now do you know how to proceed?

• Paul

You're part of the problem. You're changing the way you treat an employee because of her physical appearance. It's not her fault you think she's VERY BEAUTIFUL.

If your fellow supervisors tell you not to hire her because of that, they're as unqualified as you are.

Have a meeting where this employee's beauty is the topic of discussion? You're not only unqualified, you're not VERY SMART. What a ridiculous idea.

If your male employees "will be hitting on her constantly and distract her from her duties and that could be considered a hostile work environment," you've already failed as a manager.

I can't imagine a working environment being such a cesspool of sophomoric dolts. Including the manager that would let the leering and other sexual harassment occur.

You need management training before you supervise anyone.

My opinion is that you aren't qualified to be a supervisor.