Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesVisual ArtsDrawing & Illustration · 1 month ago

Does it look like I can improve my drawing skills without getting formal (art school) training?

I'd like to make art for a fantasy world, however I have no art training.  I doodle a lot but my drawings often come out looking creepy or alien.  I don't really have the time nor the money to get a formal art education.  I have been reading books and watching videos about drawing.  Here is an example of a pair of faces I drew today.  

• ?

I think they are both pretty good. My criticism would be that neither has any character whatsoever. The mechanics are good but they are mechanical. Next up is to give them some expression. Not my work, just expression..

Fantasy worlds can have creepy and alien inhabitants!

Of the two the lower is more "human", you do need to work on the jaw line and the position of the eyes and brow.

If you look at fantasy drawings or even real life, you will not see many people looking directly at you, you get three quarter profiles and all sorts of tilting and turning, try working on having as many angles as you can, including above and below. With the structure you are using this should be easier (there are other structure systems too).

You will need to include bodies eventually – don't become expert at heads without considering the rest otherwise you will be disappointed.

As for training – it will help. Whether you "need" it or not is another matter, where do you imagine taking your drawing?

i went to art school and this is what  I learned...face proportions and simple shapes..which im sure you have read up on both...but after they taught me these to things they just had me practice a lot...thats it..they dont do anything more for you..so keep learning on your own.  I also learned you do not get hired by having a degree but by having a portfolio