Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 1 month ago

FICO vs Vantagescore? ?

Why do credit monitoring services show you a Vantagescore when lenders usually go by FICO? My FICO is in the mid 500’s while my Vantagescore, through Credit Karma and Self, show a mid 600’s. It’s off by 100 points! How is this legal? It’s free but inaccurate and irrelevant.

I’m TIRED of busting my behind working on my credit only to be told “my score isn’t high enough for what you’re looking for.” The Vantagescore should be outlawed. And when I PAID $60 for MyFICO, it had the same results as Credit Karma and Self! My FICO score through my bank, Robins Financial Credit Union shows mid 500’s, which I think is the most accurate. 

What do I do? Thanks. 

Because it costs too much money to find out someone's FICO score.  The Vantage score is cheaper for them.

• DON W

I'm confused that you paid MyFICO $60.  My recollection is that they charge about $19.  Did you sign up for some extra service from them?

There is not a "most" accurate.  Every lender and every credit reporting agency are allowed to use their own rating scale. 

FICO is a credit scoring company with about 50 different scoring systems  MyFico is the results of one of those systems.

Experian is a credit reporting agency and has multiple scoring systems including Vantage.