Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsCycling · 1 month ago

Which is better, Microshift or Shimano Tourney STI shifters?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

Microshift is a company, like Shimano. Also like Shimano they make a range ot components. So I don' t know what quality level of Microshift you're talking about. OTOH, I know that Tourney is one of the lowest named levels that Shimano makes. So the answer is "42". Microshift may be better, or it may not.

• 1 month ago

Pay no attention to Sidewinder Jerry.  He wouldn't know a good road bike shifter if it bit him in the @ss.  Seriously Jerry?  The question is about STI shifters, not twist grip MicroShift shifters.  Those things are the lowest of the low. 

Shimano Tourney STI shifters are the lowest integrated brake/shift ones they make.  Comparable ones from MicroShift will be equally low.      

• 1 month ago

I'm actually using both shifters on the motorized Schwinn Sidewinder featuring a triple chainring shift kit, I'm currently building. The engine is a Robin Subaru 35. It drives an 18.75:1 reduction gear box. The gear box to shift kit ratio is 15:44.  This then drives the following chainrings 28,36,44. The chainrings drive a custom built 7 speed freewheel  (34,28,24,21,18,15,13). The reduction range is 66.79:1 to 16.25:1.

All shifting is done with the left hand. It gets shifted like this:

Climbing or load pulling

1(1-3)

General use around town 

2(3-5)

Open road

3(5-7)

For 9 non redundant gear ratios that eliminates cross chaining. The only time chainrings will be shifted is when either using sprockets (3) or (5). The trigger shifter controls the front 3 chainrings; while the twist shifter controls the rear 7 cogs. Both shifter perform about the same. I'll be putting a longer brake lever on the trigger shifter.

@David D., Microshift makes a twist shifter, Shimano Tourney STI also makes a trigger shifter

https://images.app.goo.gl/3x1VW7YKXRRp84oU8

The OP never said it was for a road bike. What I build works and works well. 

David D. you should know a lot about @$$e$ because you seem to keep your nose stuck in one.

Attachment image
    Source(s): Motorized bicycle owner and builder.
  • ?
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

This is like asking, "Which is better, pile of crap 'A' or pile of crap 'B'?"  Shimano Tourney STI shifters & the counterpart from MicroShift are both equally bad.  Sorry...don't shoot the messenger.   

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

In all capital letters...WHAT LEVEL OR STYLE MICROSHIFT? 🤔  If you're comparing a MicroShift 2 X 7 or 3 X 7 system to the equivalent Shimano Tourney STI shifters...they're both about the same.  Crap!  Here's the 3 X 7 from MicroShift. https://www.microshift.com/en/product/sb-r473/  Yes, it is compatible with Shimano gears & derailleurs.  

Every company knows what the competition makes & will build something of equal value for about the same price.  A 2 X 7 or 3 X 7 drivetrain is basically obsolete.  Why?  Because most use a cheap (inferior) freewheel rear cog instead of the better "freehub" and cassette.  Here's the difference...  https://www.sheldonbrown.com/free-k7.html

Seven gears on the rear cog doesn't give a person a lot of choices.  With 8, 9 or 10 gears on the rear cog, the gap or jump between gears isn't so great.  This is vitally important when climbing a hill or riding into a headwind.  This gives the cyclist more & better choices to lock in his or her ideal "cadence" - pedal rpm.  To explain further...let's say your climbing a hill & 1st gear is too easy.  You shift to 2nd gear & now it's too difficult.  More gears = more choices for difficult conditions.  Every serious cyclist I know uses at least Shimano Sora components ( 2 X 9) or higher.  Cadence explained on this link... https://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears.html      

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.