Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 2 months ago

How are reward points accumulated on credit card?

• ?

Depends on the cards program, each are different. 

For instance I get 1, 3 or 5% cash back depending on where and for what I use my card. It runs per calendar year,so on January 1st a new cycle begins and I get my cash  back in February 

It depends on the program. You get a certain number of points per dollar spent typically. 

I have many cards with many different deals Generally between 1 and 5% back in cash or points

Some have point inflation where it takes like 6000 points for $50 worth 

watch carefully for those as in that case a point is really worth about 17% less than a point

My primary card is a flat 2% paid when I accumulate $25 or more paid direct to my brokerage account

Discover & Chase have rotating 5% categories while everything else pays 1%

Discover lets you buy discounted gift cards like a $100 card for $90 

Each card is slightly different.  With most cards, you earn a certain percentage of the reward for what you spend.  On some cards, only certain kinds of purchases count.  On other cards, all purchases count.

You need to read the terms for YOUR exact card to find out how your card works.

Personally, I earn 1% cash back on EVERY purchase that I make.  I cash that out about once per year.   

• GA41

Read the terms of your card.  Basically it is tied to the amount of purchases you make.