Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Yahoo Answers going away from us :(?

Yahoo will Shutdown Answers on May 4th, 2021.

I joined decade ago and I feel it :( 

When you joined Yahoo Answers? And what do you think is this fair to shutdown any service without asking the users? I mean it. Yahoo should check the opinion of users!  

• Sarah
    3 days ago

I'm sure it's quite disappointing to many, but it has been declining for years. I was a member of a site called SodaHead, which closed in 2015 with NO warning at all, so I'm just grateful we're being warned. 

• 3 days ago

I joined in 2006.  I think it's been allowed to fall into disrepair so it looks like they're closing it down because of trolls, but in fact that's so they can make it seem like it's our fault.  It's all about money.

• 4 days ago

You know the funny (and ironic) part is that Yahoo! Answers and the loose nature (allowing "zany" questions to be asked) was actually the whole schtick of it... what made people use it and spend so much time on it... even if the site designers/moderators themselves wanted it to be more serious. 

They're going to realize that they didn't know what they had.

Web traffic for Yahoo will decrease by like 40% - or so I predict. 

Why would I have a reason to visit Yahoo! when I can either use Google for search or my local King 5 website for news... if we can't post comments (or post at all)? 

This is a mistake... but I know that time (and history) moves in a circle and Cancel Culture will loosen up and society will loosen up and we'll be able read funny hypothetical questions and answer them serious... and answer serious questions in a funny and hypothetical way... some day again... although perhaps not in my lifetime.

Most people know how to use instincts and/or do their own research when getting an answer from a complete stranger - and I think a disclaimer that some answers may not be professional and actually most of them are not unless you use some kind of WebMD type of site... which I think you have to pay for...

I think most people realize that free advice isn't necessarily accurate or objective... but the sad part being that some people may not and that may be one (of the many) reasons why Yahoo! is dumping this site. 

It was a regular part of how I passed the time and now that it is ending I'm shocked that I wasn't the only one with all the stuff I'm reading now. 

• Kin
    4 days ago

Yes. I agree with Redstone. Some users are trying Reddit Yahoo Answers by signing up or even Quora or Answerbag. You could try all and see which you like.

4 days ago

I feel it to. They are hurting all of us. I will miss all you all, except LAN. 

• 5 days ago

Hello Mr. Mahmood.

I began here in Y!A since it started. (Quite the long time.)

To be fair this is an entirely a business decision. Y!A has been losing market share to the competition for years. Any gains in users wasn't enough to offset the loss. I think Oath could of put more effort to make Y!A more attractive, but their attentions is turned elsewhere. Quite unfortunate, since I find this forum easy to use.

Overall, I had fun here answering people's queries and giving some sage advice about things on various topics. Plus the people I've interacted here was fascinating and educational.

I think I may move on to Quora, Reddit (revive my dormant account), and I possibly give Answerbag a try.

• .
    5 days ago

Yes, it's fair to shut it down without asking the users. The users aren't paying the bills to keep it running while it makes no money for the company that owns it.

• 5 days ago

Yahoo's a private company, and the site is free.

They owe you nothing.

• 5 days ago

I joined when the site first opened in 2005 and it was a very different place, with adults asking and answering sensible questions.