Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Is 23 too young to get  married?? ?

Soo my gf and I recently got engaged after over 3 years together and were planning on marrying later this year. After I broke the news to my friends and family they were quite surprised to see I popped the question so soon but for the most part have been supportive. Of course a few have said I’m too young to marry and I should “live my life a little more” before settling down. Of course I understand we’re there coming from but I do love my gf very much and I want to spend the rest of my life with her. At the end of day I think I’m old enough to make this decision on my own but what do you guys think? Am I too young to get married? 

• Good

You've been together for three years.  That's long enough to know

her as well as you can.  There will be surprises popping up here

and there but that happens to everyone no matter how long they've

dated.  You didn't say anything about living together.  When you're

living together you really find out how things are going to be.

It all boils down to you having as much chance as anyone else to

make it work out.  That's a 50/50 chance.  No businessman would

dare go into a deal like that with half a chance of failure and losing

half his crap like in divorce court.

There is nothing in it for a man to be married.  Family courts are

never friendly to men and are extremely over generous to women

with your money and stuff.  She is guaranteed to get cash and prizes

from you in the event she don't want to be with you anymore.

Good luck.  You will need it.

.

I got married when I was 20, I'm now 67 and still married to the same person. The best bit is that we had children early, so we had more years to spend with them and our grandchildren and great grandchildren.

Age isn't the issue

• KTJoe

23 way to young but there's divorce, a man is more mature at age 30. He's supposedly more established in life more committed to a job and clear on what he wants.  Ages under 30 most men aka boys are full of fantasy about everything, full of play. Agree?

On some level, the comments from fam/friends must have struck a nerve.  Otherwise, you'd know you both were ready for this and you'd tell the peanut gallery to back off.

On your question, you're the only one who can answer it.  That's because age is so relative.  Of course there are 23 year olds who are ready to pledge the next 60 years to another person.  But most need a bit more time.  I got married to a great guy at 27, but I wouldn't give up those prior years of fun, independent young adulthood for anything.  But I'm not you.

I do have one suggestion. One of the risks of younger marriage is going into it with blinders on.  You say you love her, but that's a given and love is never enough.  Just make sure the 2 of you have thoroughly discussed all major issues that will arise.  Finances are a big one, but there are others - kids, religion, careers, what happens if one gets a promotion that means a move to another city, and most important of all, working on your communication skills.  Create an environment where each of you feels free to discuss anything that is bothering you.  When couples don't do this, resentment builds, and this is a common pattern with younger people.

Statistics on marriages involving people under 25 are pretty grim. So you face about an 88% chance of divorcing. But maybe you'll enjoy a few years of wedded bliss before you realize you maybe should have lived more life before settling down. Or you'll be in the minority of couples who marry too young but are still able to keep it together. 

We fall madly in love, don’t we, thinking (feeling rather) that it will last forever and is enough for a serious relationship. However, it’s very hard to live on an emotional high for very long. Eventually we start to come down from the ecstasy, excitement, strong passions and desires, typically after around 18 months to three years (people vary of course). If couples are friends, discuss their mutual values, shared ambitions, interests, etc., in some depth (obviously there will be some differences, which help make relationships interesting), and make plans, work on their personal development, etc., this can develop into a long and wonderful relationship. If one feels insecure or low in self respect, it can make for a difficult partnership. It's easy to behave at our best when in love, but marriage, for example, requires a lot of self discipline, sacrifice, compromise and flexibility. If a strong friendship is not in place, the relationship will probably peter out eventually - or worse. Quite often we fall in love because we are lonely and allow ourselves to be won over by anyone who takes an interest in us. Thus we give away control to somebody else if we are not careful. This is another reason for taking things very slowly, and really getting to know someone before committing ourselves or getting too emotionally or sexually involved. Sex can be emotionally bonding, which is disastrous if the other things are not there: strong friendship, similar values and standards, common interests, etc.

At your age, I'd recommend a long engagement. Males in particular take some time to get to know their adult selves. You got together at around twenty, and your are probably both rather inexperienced. Still in college, perhaps. 

Good Luck!

Yes it is.. I got married (2nd marriage) at the age of 52.  1st marriage.. I personally was too young.  I was immature and really was not ready for the commitment.  But now.. I am.  But.. hey thats me.

the right age to get married is when you meet and are committed to the person you want to spend the rest of your life with.  My wife had just turned 19 and I was 20 when we married.  We are coming up on 48 years together and have never regret it for a second.  We have four children who married at 20, 24, and 28.  The last is 31 and still single with no plans to marry in the foreseeable future.  All three that are married have strong marriages.  

It is true that couple who marry later in life tend to stay together longer.  They are coming into the relationship more mature and usually better off financial (which does make a big difference.)  But the right time to marry is when you meet that person you know you want to spend the rest of your life with.

Everyone is different. You're not too young. Just don't forget to always work on your relationship and not to take it for granted.