Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 2 weeks ago

My uncles ex-wife does not like his family anymore post divorce. Is this normal after a divorce?

They were married 33 years so she knew us for a long time and has not spoken a word since they split three years ago.  She even got mad at my aunt for my aunt getting to know my uncles new girlfriend.  My uncle had the new girlfriend after they split, he was not cheating on his then-wife with this woman. The ex aunt, uncle‘s ex-wife, is the one who requested the divorce.   

1 week ago

Yes this is very normal and it is called post divorce.   

• kristy

Maybe she never liked anyone on his side of the family anyway 

• Ann

She's the one who requested the divorce, and now she's mad because your aunt wants to know your uncle's new girlfriend?  It sounds as if she's very childish.  If she refuses to have anything to do with his family members, then it's her choice.   Write her off as a past memory and embrace the new relationship.  I hope it's happier.

Heck people happily married often dislike their in-laws.

It's cliche'. 

On the other hand my brother's father-in-law allows his wife's ex to come by and watch football games with the family and doesn't seem to mind at all... a real easygoing guy and I think maybe that's his way to eliminate stigmas or taboo things... by bringing them out in the open.

There is absolutely no threat to the marriage when he is there - as far as I see it.

I didn't even know who he was and assumed he was the guy's brother since they resemble each other in all irony. 

What am I not understanding here: the aunt "requested the divorce"? I don't get it. Its up to the couple in question, not an "aunt". If someone doesn't like a relative post divorce, chances are good they didn't like the person before then, but kept it more to themselves, unless the person did something horrible for which to be disliked. . 

• i + i

Yes.